View Poll Results: What do you think of the book?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great! Couldn\'t put it down!

1 12.50%
  • It was ok I guess

0 0%
  • Hated it

0 0%
  • Never read it

7 87.50%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Team AO????

Team AO????

OK guys I have a proposal to make. I think it'd be a cool idea to start a AO distributed computing team. I was thinking of doing distributed.net. for 3 reasons:
    1. They work on cracking encryption algorythms, which helps test the practical strength of various encryption schemes.
    2. They donate money to one of several charities of the winner's choosing, usually these are opensource organizations.
    3. Their client is available for many common platforms.

If y'all want to do it let me know. If I get enough feedback I'd be happy to set it up and help you get started....
    Cheers

\"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

I would, But I run SETI 24/7 with my ub3r 3.2Ghz

I'm still kinda a security newbie,but I'd do whatever I could to help if something like this came about.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

To clarify for the benefit of the mystified:
    Distributed computing is a technique used to make large computing jobs more managable by breaking up the task at hand and processing it on numerous machines. There are many volunteer projects out there, like dnet, which can be joined on the 'net. This typically envolves downloading a client program which run in the background and utilizes unused processor cycles to work on the problem, connecting to the 'net as needed to exchange info with the projects servers. Many of these projects allow the formation of teams to make it more interesting, as well as like in the case of dnet, give those involved a better chance of "being with a winner."

Please, if this sounds good to you, post!
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

Well, they just finished the RC5-64 challenge and that's the only one that really has any purpose. I am on CyberArmy's team for dist.net and UD.com (United Devices) and I contribute 30 PIIIs worth of cycles.. just for those who don't know, that's a darn lot so with a little thought I might transfer some of my cycles to AO.

Well I wanna know who already registered a team name of "antionline". Looks like there's no work done under it. Perhaps we can even do another project instead....let me check some other stuff out.....
    -Bad Religion

Well I would be interested (been doing SETI for years), but I'm already in a group. Plus, like Jehnny, I'm in a CA brigade, except I'm in Ready Response......otherwise I'd be all for it......
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

I have been supporting both Seti and dnet for a long time. But I decided to change to something imo far more important and started with Folding at Home instead.

Source: Folding@Home

What are proteins and why do they "fold"? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out their biochemical function, they remarkably assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, remains a mystery. Moreover, perhaps not surprisingly, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious effects, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and Parkinson's disease.

What does Folding@Home do? Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. We use novel computational methods and large scale distributed computing, to simulate timescales thousands to millions of times longer than previously acheived. This has allowed us to simulate folding for the first time, and to now direct our approach to examine folding related disease.
    If someone started a AO group here would I be more then happy to give of my computer power since its for a good cause .

~micael

intersting bit of info:

The SETI program was the largest distributed computing network ever to be created.

As of October 1, SETI@Home had nearly 4 million individual client CPUs involved in its distributed computation and had over 1.1 million CPU-years worth of data processing donated to the cause since its inception on May 17, 1999. Indeed, The Guinness Book of World Records certifies that by July 2001 SETI@Home had performed 890 billion billion floating-point operations—a record-breaking number that has only increased in the 15 months since it was established.
    Stanford has two more dc systems now. 1, like micael said, is the folding. the other is the genome project. both sound pretty interesting.

for those who have never heard of it, check out http://cseserv.engr.scu.edu/studentw...ue/default.htm
    its pretty basic stuff, so it should be easy to understand.

i, for one, would be honored to lend some cycles.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

Banned
    Originally posted by doktorf00bar
    Well I wanna know who already registered a team name of "antionline". Looks like there's no work done under it. Perhaps we can even do another project instead....let me check some other stuff out.....
    XY set up AntiOnline's SETI-account about a year ago already, I think.