Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eminem Movie: 8 mile

Eminem Movie: 8 mile

I know I'll get negged for this, but I don't care.

Am I the only one who notices similarities between Eminem and Vanilla Ice? Don't get me wrong, I like Eminem's music. He is an extremely talented rapper. The reason I say I see similarities between them is this, Vanilla Ice said he grew up in the hood, which wasn't true. Now Eminem appears to have genuinely come up in a hip-hop culture, but the things he says about his mother, don't get me wrong I'm sure he had it hard, but they seem to be untrue. Every song he says something contrary to something he's said before. It just seems to me that they share that "phoney" aspect to their styles which I beleive will mean the end of eminem as sure as it did Ice. Which I think is a pity, because eminem is an extremely good rapper... (have you ever heard him freestyle? CRAZY!!)

They also both made a movie. Vanilla Ice's was a dismal failure. My question is: do you think eminem's move 8-mile will do the same to his career as Cool As Ice did for Vanilla Ice's?
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

I think they both have serious identity crises.Vanilla Ice goes from nobody->rapper->wanna be movie star->nobody->Wanna be metal singer->wanna be boxer(I have the video of him getting his a55 kicked in the boxing ring)->nobody.As for Eminem,the only reason he gets the attention he gets is because he caused a big contraversy with his lyrics,not because he has any real talent.I learned how to make words rhyme in pre-school,so I'm not impressed.If he makes it big with a movie,more power to him.I hope he's a better actor than he is a musician.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

Eminem and Vanilla Ice both suck

making up words that rhyme is one thing, making them up is a few seconds, continuously for 14 minutes, like he did with redman, and actually having them make sense, thats a different story.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

How the hell does anyone know he didn't spend every night for the previous 6 months rehearsing that in his bathroom mirror?Even if he did make up a big nursery rhyme that takes 14 minutes to spit out I'm still not impressed.Coming from a bass guitar player of 5 years,and not a famous musician by any means,a real musician has to dedicate their lives to learning their trade(whether it's singing,guitar,piano,bassoon or any thing else.)Eminem didn't have to struggle to the top.He's a prefabricated musician just like Brittany Spears,and the Backstreet Boys.The only difference is instead of making it to the top by looking good,the record companies saw another vanilla ice,except this time he had a nasty mouth so he would stir up the media a lot more,and therefore bring them that much more money.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

Am I the only one who notices similarities between Eminem and Vanilla Ice? Don't get me wrong, I like Eminem's music. He is an extremely talented rapper. The reason I say I see similarities between them is this, Vanilla Ice said he grew up in the hood, which wasn't true. Now Eminem appears to have genuinely come up in a hip-hop culture, but the things he says about his mother, don't get me wrong I'm sure he had it hard, but they seem to be untrue. Every song he says something contrary to something he's said before.
    OK I see a big difference between the two. Vanilla Ice lied about his past and about growing up in the ghetto to give himself street cred. It was all going fine until some huge black dude held Ice over a balcony and forced him to admit that he never lived in the ghetto and he made all that stuff up. Eminem, on the other hand, had it pretty rough changing schools every three months and getting bullied and he turned to hip-hop to find solace. Eminem didn't fabricate his past. Also you've said that he contradicted himself in his songs but you didn't give any examples so I'm not sure what you mean.

As for Eminem,the only reason he gets the attention he gets is because he caused a big contraversy with his lyrics,not because he has any real talent.
    I'm no huge Eminem fan, but saying that the guy has NO talent is just...well...wrong. Turn off MTV and listen to some of his early freestyles, then come and tell me that he has no talent.

They also both made a movie. Vanilla Ice's was a dismal failure. My question is: do you think eminem's move 8-mile will do the same to his career as Cool As Ice did for Vanilla Ice's?
    Yeah I don't why it is that so many singers are making their own movies and stuff now. Eminem's did it. Nelly did it. Ice Cube did it. Jennifer Lopez went from acting to singing. It seems like everyone wants another piece of the entertainment pie. Just stick to what you're good (or at least mediocre) at I say.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

I think the determining factor in musician to moviestar switches is the size of the role, will smith started with a series, one which was hugely popular (one of my favorites) then took supporting roles in large movies.. now he is better known as an actor than he ever was as a rapper. same with LLcoolJ, Ice Cube did it. Vanilla Ice made the same mistake too many make. He took a starring role for his first role in a badly written movie that was pretty much about his (fake) life. I haven't seen Em's movie yet, but i hear its basically the same thing.

I do not know why people have to discuss about if he is talented or not. He has big success and that is all that counts. I personally hate Eminem, he is rude and I even think he is somewhat mentally ill. But people buy his records and give him the opportunity to misuse the media to express his sick ideas. If no one would listen to his garbage (I mean the lyrics, not the music), we had not to discuss whether he is good or not.

Disclaimer: This post is just an opinion. If you disagree and have a point to argue, go ahead and post it, I love debates!

As much as I don't want to put it as blantantly like tty0 did, he is right, IMO. I'm not too fond of Eminem, his music, or his "accomplishment's" nor Vanilla Ice. Both, IMO, don't deserve the attention they have/had and haven't done anything noble. Sadly, many people view this at another perspective and they think about his lyrics and everything else.

For Eminem, most of his lyrics are gay-bashing, rude, and just bashing people in general. Another form of Eminem lyrics I have noticed as well as other's is his constant bashing of his Mother and his Ex-Wife. Now, I don't know what his mother did in the past, and there isn't any substancial evidence to prove she did anything (or his Ex for that matter) but you don't disrespect your mother, especially in public. Putting songs that just blert out, " ***** You Mom!" Is degrading and very low. I can also view it as desperate, IMO, for ratings, publicity, and sales for albums.
    Space For Rent.. =]

down and dirty

Here it is..the down and dirty truth:

When debating talent you have to look at this major point.

Eminem....is "white"

Rap has been dominated by "black" people

The fact that a "white" guy can become the #1 rapper and be admired by the rap community as a whole...is proof alone. Vanilla Ice had a streak...but he was not admired by his peers...only made fun of. Eminem has the top rappers "bowing down".

No, it doesn't have to be a "race" thing...but always has been...and he is breaking that mold....which I believe is a great justice...even though he has appauling lyrics....most people know that he says the things that he does...for popularity..and that he isn't a derranged lunatic.

Before you reply to this with comments about racism...read "the emperor's new groove" and you will know how I feel about racial issues....as I've been a student of the author of that book and find my beliefs are much the same as the authors are, which are not racist beliefs.

If you've listened to his most recent cd....it has about 10 good songs..which beats out most rappers who have 1-2 good songs at best.....it's really ironic....eminem takes songs from other artists.....and makes them popular....people then start listenings to their music...like Dido, yet they say eminem is a horrible musical artist.....if he was such a poor musical artist...then he wouldn't recognize a good melody and make it into something people would actually listen to.