Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: God Vs. God

er0k
    .. i say we all rush the pentagon, pull out guns and grab the intercom. my first words would be i believe man made god, hows the ignorance feel? if got made man why the hell would he put us here.. i thought he's supposed to be the all lovin' the same god who let hitler put the jews in the oven, we dont fall for the regular ****, they try to feed us all this half assed leadership flippin position, they turn politician and shut the hell up followin tradition.
    -- Dead Prez - propaganda
    couldnt have said it much better myself.

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    God Vs. God
    Today 06:39 PM Biblethumping idiot....

- contact user about this assignment
    God Vs. God
    Today 06:39 PM I hate how christians judge, tell you how to live your OWN life, hide crimes behind their religion ie- pedophillia, crimes against humanity..

- contact user about this assignment
    God Vs. God
    Today 06:39 PM Oh come on be quiet already.. quit ya preachin'.

Its ironic when we open a topic for discussing God, and I get negged for "preaching"...
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

Perhaps because it was supposed to be about God, and not preaching any one particular creed or religion. You're entitled to your opinions(you shouldn't have been negged for them), but perhaps you were too forceful. But so are other people. I think people need to stop saying stuff like"Oh my religion is better than yours," and stuff like that. If one needs to put down someone else's faith in order to feel comforted in their own, then their faith is meaningless.
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

Hi,

A few verses from the Bible:

Hebrews 1:1-4:
    "Long ago God spoke to our ancestors in many and various ways by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom he also created the worlds. He is the reflection of God's glory and the exact imprint of God's very being, and he sustains all things by his powerful word. When he had made purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs."

I believe, as the above passage teaches, that Jesus Christ is the ultimate revelation of God to humanity. The eternal God chose to enter time at a particular place, at a particular time, and through a particular person, His Son Jesus Christ. Through a stroke of Divine genius, God made Himself known to us by becoming one of us. He came in person, and became a human Person, both fully God and fully man. I don't think all religions are equal. We are not all worshiping the same God. What you believe about God really does matter. Some people in India, I understand, have drowned their babies in the Ganges river to appease their gods. That is not my God. Buddhism teaches that we must extinguish our passions (correct me if I'm wrong). That is not my God. My God is a passionate Person, who pursues us in love and want us to pursue Him. Muslims teach that we must reach God through our good works. That's not my God. My God chose to come down to Earth and give Himself as the one and only sacrifice for our sins. "For it is by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves. It is the gift of God and not of works, so that no one may boast." (Ephesians 2:8) New Agers believe that we are all gods. But I am not my God. My God is my God. He made me, but He is not me. He made the world, but He is not the world. "He was is the beginning, and all things were made through Him, and without Him was not made anything that was made." Judaism teaches that there is a God. That I agree with, but along with the Jewish writers of the New Testament who came to accept Jesus Christ as the fullest revelation of God. The Old Testament reveals God, but it also points to the ultimate revelation of God in his Son Jesus Christ. The Old Testament sacrifices pointed to the "Lamb slain before the foundation of the world." Jesus is the final sacrifice for sin. If we reject Him, "there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful prospect of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries: (Hebrews 10: 2nd half of verse 26, 27).

Let me ask this question: "How can everyone be right about God when our different beliefs about God conflict with one another and are at times, mutually exclusive?"
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Old Fart
    er0k, you know that I have a great deal of respect for you, and your opinion, tho different from mine, does nothing to diminish that fact. I will, however, ask that you humor my request and research this subject a bit more. You will find that there is archealogical data that tends to pretty well confirm the validity of the good book. If you can find "The Bible as a History" you will even get to see an actual photo of 'manna'.

On the subject of the creation of man, we were not created exclusivly to worship God. We were also created to take stewardship of the earth...perfect beings created to live forever in paradise. However, when Adam and Eve took into themselves the forbidden fruit (an act of free will), they pretty well screwed the whole scenario up. Read up on the subject and keep an open mind....I'm not preaching at you my friend...not my style. I'm just trying to appeal to that inquisitive nature of yours that I admire so much.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

To me god is in great numbers..
    Chaos.

If you take a lot of attoms and a lot of time.. you get life..
    not only here evrywhere..
    To me the eternal god... is just the vastness of the universe and time.. The size of it all...

not the "invisible man in the sky"

not even now with our gigaherz computers will we ever come close to calculating all the possible chemical ellements and combinations formed in one second annywhere in the universe..

So how could we mere men ever grasp the concept of god.. and put it in a book of a mere (how manny??) pages..

Do not you think that if you'd rewrite the book a couple of times.. the repressentation of such a HUGE thing in such a small book would change evry time you rewrite... From talmut to bible to koran...

This was just MHO
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I have to go with Jinx on this one.What is a "god" or a "higher power"?What makes humans so naive to think that anything that "created" us would be in our image when there's billions of different life forms on our planet alone,more or less the entire universe.

It seems pretty simple to me.Energy can neither be created nor destroyed.Therefore nothing ever truely dies.Whether or not once your body dies your energy eventually creates a new one I don't know,because in order to know that we'd have to know the origin of conciousness and the ability and desire to make choices,I don't see anything that would prevent it though.I don't even know that it is all really chaos,because if man is ever able to look through the vast number of different particles and find the origin of matter or even energy itself I'd say it's probably an extremely simple thing.
    I think the universe is a never ending recyceling plant.Even if it keeps expanding,life as we know it may not be around,but life is energy and will always be.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

Muhammad and Jesus

Muhammad (founder of islam) called Jesus a prophet of god (don't go into semantics

about the name).

Just an interesting tidbit I thought you'd want to know.
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

this is a very interesting thread!

i was raised a lutheran and attended church regularly. i read the bible from cover to cover several times. catechism, etc. i was in the choir and an altar boy for a while. i was the chaplain for my boy scout troup. i was inquisitive, so i tried other religions to see what they were about. so i experimented with catholicism, greek and russian orthodox, baptist, so many variations of christianity i cant even remember them all now, unitarian, buddhism, confusionism, shintoism and finally came upon zoroastrianism.

from what i read of zoroastrianism, it was one of the first religions ever to be created, in the cradle of civilization, the current holy land. zoroastrianism had the same creation story, the same flood story, in fact quite a lot of the old testament was eerily similar to christian belief. the religion was created by the ruler at the time, zoroaster, essentially to give him divine right to the throne. (almost the same as what happened in egypy with the pharoahs claiming son of ra) zoroaster became the "jesus" figure in this religion, minus the crucifiction, of course. but what really interested me was this religion's effect through the rest of time.

i conducted much research into the "history" of the bible and was surprised that most of the bible's miracles could be scientifically or historically explained. for example, moses parting the waters was figurative. moses knew that at this certain place at a certain time along this portion of the waters, they receeded and made quite a capable walking area. at the same time, the ground was way to moist to support horses, cannons and the like. so moses and his people were able to escape, essentially during low tide and as the enemy attempted a pursuit, they sunk. please excuse my lack of detail, as its been a while since i've even discussed this.

about this time, the pastor at the lutheran church i went to noticed my lack of faith and we began discussing things. i asked questions, he attempted to answer. over time, the quality of the answers sounded like an echo. faith. that was all this religion really depended on. blind faith. i was never one to believe something that couldnt be proven, so i was at a loss.

a lot of the morals and values in the bible are very valid. it still has some great lessons to be learned. and i will still admit that jesus was a very enlightened man, though i do not believe he is the physical son of a sentient god up in the sky, he became the figurative "god's" son by living life the way he did. educating people in a way of life that drastically differed from the current lifestyle of decadence, gluttony and murder for entertainment. at the time, a person like that was muich needed.

woah. i went off there... : )

here's my personal religious opinion, since it's a little different than others:

i consider myself a taoist. meaning. i dont believe in "god" as most do. there is no sentient all powerful being in the sky. my "god" is the universe. the same essense of every molecule in the universe is also part of us. we are everything, and thus nothing.

consider: newton claims that matter is neither created or destroyed, only changed. thus, as we touch something, breath on something, shake hands, etc. we pass along a part of ourselves to the object that is touchced. atoms are transferred, regardless of how small. that object, person, air is now part of you. you then travel millions of miles to touch mountains, plains, deserts and everyone else in the world.

ok that was a very simplified version of what i believe, but i have to get back to work... lol. thanks for listening with an open mind.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

Well guys all I can say is I have great comfort in the sense that it does not matter how bad it goes, how poor you maybe,what your state of health is, what people think of you etc...etc.
    The good news for me as a Christian is that I know in my heart and soul that one day this would all be gone and everything will be equal and well.I think that is something to look forward to and comfort you in bad times, and just as importent praise him for what we already receive no questions asked.

regards
    v/man
    Practise what you preach.