Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: God Vs. God

Wow well said Web Carnage,don't think I like the idea of being ****ed in the ass with umbrellas and monkeys,but overall was a damn good rant.I just hope if we're Beta version humans we're not being made by Megasoft owned by Pearly Gates.If so I bet God had to pay out the ass to by however many billions of us there are.I would have considered myself ripped off if I payed for some of the people out there.I guess that's what you get when you mess with bleeding edge stuff huh?
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

Well, I believe there's just one god, but that we just have different ways of worshipping him, but in what's really important everything is the same, we just have to have blind faith in him and love him above all.

I deeply disagree with some religions that attack others, I think that anyone is in his right to believe in what he wants, I don't think some religious fanatics have the right to kill someone just because they disagree with him.

Sincerely
    Plclp10

Acidreign
    You dont believe that there is a god because you dont believe in what's in a book? Like I said in my first post here--man is faluable and man did write the bible. I think there's a lot of horse s**t in the bible personally, but I don't care. There are also a lot of excellent lessons to be learned from the bible or any holy book. People need to realize that the reason why man wrote their holy books was to attempt to give guidance (and maybe enligten an individual), not to control the masses. If you think about it, any piece of work meant to make people think about what they do could be considered a way to control the masses. OH S**T I'M DOING IT NOW!!
    Love is the only reality of the world, because it is all One, you see. And the only laws are paradox, humor, and change. There is no problem, never was, never will be. Release your struggle, let go of your mind, throw away your concerns, and relax into the world.

Dan Millman, The Way of The Peaceful Warrior

Oddly enough, I feel as though this post from the 'Hitler' thread is most appropriate here:

Originally posted here by roswell1329
    You believe that a god would hold me accountable for not choosing to acknowledge him? If this was a god that is supposed to be my creator that truly understood my origins, my upbringing, my education, he would understand that believing in him is not an option for me. Therefore, I'm left with the idea: If there truly is a god, why doesn't he want me to believe in him? Trust me, there have been MANY times when I would have liked to have been a part of some "bigger picture", to believe that there is an independent institution (protected by law, even) that can offer me enlightentment, wisdom, and peace. That there is some higher being looking out for me, or that has some big plan for me, but to do so would force me to be untrue to myself. It's not a matter of just "showing a little faith". I have no faith to give. There is no choice for me to believe in any god, let alone a specific god for a specific religion.

I'm not trying to be difficult, rude, or condescending. I'm happy for those who have found comfort in faith. I feel they need to do whatever it takes to live a happy, fulfilling life. Just as I have found comfort in my lack of faith. [/b]
    Just my $.02.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

You know what.Life's lessons can't be learned through a book.They're learned through time and experience.You know what's wrong or right,so why do you need a book to teach you lessons?
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

I agree with you gghornet. You don't NEED a book to teach you. Life has a nice way of teaching you lessons and reinforcing them (another little odd quark in life that gives me reason for believing that there is a god). It is nice, however, to learn from the knowledge of people who have dedicated their lives to spirituality.

Also, I believe the writings in holy books are very inspirational. This can provoke a person into changing instead of the whole "It would be nice to live that way, but it's just too much work" While learning lessons in life sometimes people operate at such a surface level that they don't even notice what is really a lesson.
    Love is the only reality of the world, because it is all One, you see. And the only laws are paradox, humor, and change. There is no problem, never was, never will be. Release your struggle, let go of your mind, throw away your concerns, and relax into the world.

Dan Millman, The Way of The Peaceful Warrior

Originally posted here by gghornet
    You know what.Life's lessons can't be learned through a book.They're learned through time and experience.You know what's wrong or right,so why do you need a book to teach you lessons?
    Hi,
    I think I understand what you're saying, but I disagree. In the case of the Bible, we do need it. God uses the Bible to apeak to us, but the Bible is not God. God can be experienced outside the Bible. However, the Bible is needed because it contains God's revealed will. Here's how I feel. I derive the jist of what I'm about to say from a passage in a C.S. Lewis book (Mere Christianity, I think). Let's say I want to go to New York City. So I get a map and I study it. Ok, if by studying the map and learning the way to New York City I get the idea that I really don't need to go there to know what New York is like, then I am deceived. The dot on the map is not New York City. Nothing will take the place of being there. However, having the map will save me a lot of trouble when I go to New York for real. It can save me a lot of dead ends and wrong turns.

Ok, God is not the Bible. But the Bible tells us what we need to have a relationship with and experience God. It can save us a lot of trouble if we really want to find Him.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Hi,
    I think I understand what you're saying, but I disagree. In the case of the Bible, we do need it. God uses the Bible to apeak to us, but the Bible is not God. God can be experienced outside the Bible. However, the Bible is needed because it contains God's revealed will. Here's how I feel. I derive the jist of what I'm about to say from a passage in a C.S. Lewis book (Mere Christianity, I think). Let's say I want to go to New York City. So I get a map and I study it. Ok, if by studying the map and learning the way to New York City I get the idea that I really don't need to go there to know what New York is like, then I am deceived. The dot on the map is not New York City. Nothing will take the place of being there. However, having the map will save me a lot of trouble when I go to New York for real. It can save me a lot of dead ends and wrong turns.

Ok, God is not the Bible. But the Bible tells us what we need to have a relationship with and experience God. It can save us a lot of trouble if we really want to find Him.
    I have good morals, good ethics, rarely cheat, or take advantage of people. Whenever I liter I feel guilty and always end up throwing trash away where it's proper. I've never killed, seriously hurt (mentally or physically) anybody ever in my life - and I don't intend to. When I "grow up" I'd like to be a biogenetical engineer, become a doctor, ...I'd like to help people. I'm a very generous person (too generous for my own good...gets me into trouble sometimes), and I rarely lie.

I respect others for who they are and what they have, and rarely judge people for the worst. I'm not conceited, obnoxious, obstreporous, or fanatic - rather a realist, a dangerously sane person living in a seriously pessemistic world.

[P.S. - I have never fully read any holy book before in my life. And for the books/chapters I have read, I find them totally unrelated to God in any way - simply a way to get people under control, or to set up as a type of government keeping people from killing each other off simply because a few sheep happened to get themselves free and the herder wants somebody to blame...]
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

"I have good morals, good ethics, rarely cheat, or take advantage of people. Whenever I liter I feel guilty and always end up throwing trash away where it's proper. I've never killed, seriously hurt (mentally or physically) anybody ever in my life - and I don't intend to. When I "grow up" I'd like to be a biogenetical engineer, become a doctor, ...I'd like to help people. I'm a very generous person (too generous for my own good...gets me into trouble sometimes), and I rarely lie.

I respect others for who they are and what they have, and rarely judge people for the worst. I'm not conceited, obnoxious, obstreporous, or fanatic - rather a realist, a dangerously sane person living in a seriously pessemistic world.

[P.S. - I have never fully read any holy book before in my life. And for the books/chapters I have read, I find them totally unrelated to God in any way - simply a way to get people under control, or to set up as a type of government keeping people from killing each other off simply because a few sheep happened to get themselves free and the herder wants somebody to blame...]"

I don't doubt that for the most part, you have good behavior. The Bible is not a book of ethics or good morals. It is the story of how God created humankind, and how God made a way for humankind to be redeemed and enjoy a relationship with Himself. You say you "rarely lie" and "rarely cheat." I take this to mean you have cheated and you have lied. Unless we are perfect (And we aren't) any sin is enough to keep us from heaven. Pretty good is not good enough. Salvation is not by works. It is by grace, and it comes only through a relationship with Jesus Christ. The Bible is the story of how God made a way for us to be forgiven and have a relationship with God. The Bible lays out standards of behavior for the purpose of showing us our sin, and showing us what it means to "Love God with all our heart and soul and mind, and to love our neighbor as ourselves." If we have real faith in God, and through faith surrender our lives to Him, our behavior will be right.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

our behavior will be right
    Is "right" behavior "perfect" behavior?...
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]