Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For all you students, windows 2k work around

For all you students, windows 2k work around

Maybe you all already know this but here it is anyways.
    I go to a Technology Magnet school (big whoop), now at my school they have fortres101 on the computers that are running windows 98, how ever in out oracle lab they are running 2000 Pro, now with fortres101 you can get around it, just by going into the web browser and typing in c:\ and it'll give you list of the hard drive and let u surf it like an FTP, how ever if you try this in 2000 with the web browser with the security measures in place you'll get an error like "You do not have the permission to go there" or something like that, so here is how you work around it. Open up the Browser and type this location "file://c|/" that should get you into the hard drive and allow you to see the contents, and run programs like cmd, and games that thoes mean old teachers disabled, I don't know if you can run the programs I didn't have the time to check it out.
    Got Root?

You can also do something similar with the help menu. And I asked one of my teachers why security at my school was so lax and he was like "the computers are to learn on, we've had our Shell server hacked a few times and it took the admins an hour or two to restore it, we have tape backups and nothing important was ever lost, it's a learning tool nothing more."
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

you can also go into notepad, click open, and Type C:\ in the file to open box. Just set it to view all files. Right click and click open.

Probably

I have no doubts that you can do that, but here is the thing, any possible combonation that you can think of is disabled, (I.e: Right clicks are disabled, Crtl+Alt+Del is disabled) they though of almost every thing,
    Got Root?

How in the world do you get any work done on an Windows machine without being able to right click and get to the context menus? This may be an example of taking security just a little too seriously.

Im taking a guess but what happens when you go into safe mode with network support...?
    It might work, but then again...
    \"Lifes a bitch and then, you die.\"

Right click is enabled on our server. Security is bad though. They can only see what computer is doing what, not who is doing what.

Redbone > actualy I think Phoenix ment that you cant right click the desktop itself, so you can't mess with the Wallpaper or Screen Saver. My college has the same thing, which can be a real pain if you need to change the screen resolution to view a program or webpage properly.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Thanks for clearing that up, Syini666...but I can still see how that would be a pain.

I go to a tech high school/college and for us freshman in HS, we use 2000 pro. The only thing is that, there arent as many buttons to click on the menu. Also, we could see all the contents of the hard drive (since theres only school stuff in there) and the right-click is enabled. We have very few restrictions and we could do whatever we want with the computer as long as it helps with our work. It depends on what institution you go to. We run on a T1 with two Netgear routers.