Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: desktop trouble

desktop trouble

My desktop bleeds, I am not sure how to verbalize what I am saying. Lines appear that make it appear that the desktop is peeling off and horizontal fine lines fill it up untill I can no longer clearly see portions of it.I know what I am saying sounds confusing but I don't know how else to put it.Does any one know the cause of this. I have run Tauscan and norton and disk defragmenter etc, etc.It has never apppeared before on this computer .Does anyone have an idea as to what is occuring. Auntie
    For hundreds of years the brain was physically capable of the thoughts of a Galelio or an Aristotle among people who had not yet learned to count to ten. Much of that equipment is still unused and waiting.

It could it be a problem with your monitor or your video card, possibly. Does this happen everytime that your desktop is powered on, or is it a random occurence? The first steps that I would take would be to run through your monitors setup to see if there is something there that is out of the ordinary and then to reinstall the drivers for your video card.
    - Maverick

Talking Re.desk top trouble

Thanks for the thought I'd never seen this happen before it has only occured in the past week or so. I'll check out what you said. Auntie
    For hundreds of years the brain was physically capable of the thoughts of a Galelio or an Aristotle among people who had not yet learned to count to ten. Much of that equipment is still unused and waiting.

Auntie,
    I have seen this problem a few times before. As Maverick811 has said, it sounds like it is either a problem with your monitor and or video card. It also could be a driver issue. My first questions would be, what OS are you using? What type of video card? What kind of monitor? Does this happen intermittently or all the time? Do you have another PC that you can hook this monitor up to?
    I would check out your monitor set up. You can test it there and also you can look at what driver/video card you are using. It is accessible from the control panel or by right mouse clicking the desktop and going to properties. I think that this is a good problem for you to deal with, as it will hone your trouble-shooting techniques. With such an issue you will be forced to figure out if the issue is with the software/OS or hardware. Please keep us up to date as to what is happening. Good luck.

Patrick
    [glowpurple]\"I like to think of myself as a sensitive inteliigent person with the soul of a clown that forces me to blow it at the most important times.\" Jim Morrison[/glowpurple]

If you have placed your speakers too near the monitor, the radiations from it can affect it. I also had a similar problem around 2 yrs ago, and I had to call a technical executive from the manufacturer's company.
    Hi! I am new to these forums.......

Hi auntie

Check the refresh rate and resolution of your monitor. Reinstall the display drivers for the appropriate adapter. I think this will do.
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=210 ۯ

UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity. Dennis Ritchie.

If you have placed your speakers too near the monitor, the radiations from it can affect it
    not putting you down manpreet as i prolly realise that english may not be your first language but it isn't radiation....its magnatism

inside your speakers are large magnets if these are placed to close to your monitor (and if they aren't shielded properly) then it can cause distortion your correct....

i just thought i'd better clarify that it isn't radiation so no need to run for your radiation suits just yet....

v_Ln

I had this problem with a Geforce MX-200 card and it was the drivers. I have also seen it with a video card that is going bad.

Here is how I would trouble shoot this.

Since it is possibly a speaker problem do the easiest first. If you have special speakers too close to the monitor move them away and see if it solves the problem.

If you have another monitor (any standard monitor) put it on. If the lines appear it is not the monitor. If not it is the monitor, problem solved.

Check your video drivers. The easy way to check if it is the drivers alone is to reset your video to VGA default (it may look ugly but it is only temporary). Do the lines appear. If so it is not the drivers. If not then try downloading the latest drivers from the internet and install them. Please note that unless you changed something recently this is probably not the problem since you said it just started occurring. However the test is simple so we might as well be thourough.

Finally test the video card by getting a replacement card and trying it out. Please note that you can purchase the card and if this is not the problem you can return it or you can just decide to upgrade. Don't forget to change the video drivers back to the VGA setting before installing the new card to avoid any driver incompatibilities. If the new card fixes the problem then you are done, if not then you can decide whether to keep the new card or go back to your old.

After this you are starting to troubleshoot the system itself so try those first and if none of them work then let us know and we can go forward. BTW I think the best bet is that you have a video card or monitor going out.

Hope this helps.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

Originally posted here by valhallen
    not putting you down manpreet as i prolly realise that english may not be your first language but it isn't radiation....its magnatism

inside your speakers are large magnets if these are placed to close to your monitor (and if they aren't shielded properly) then it can cause distortion your correct....

i just thought i'd better clarify that it isn't radiation so no need to run for your radiation suits just yet....

v_Ln
    As a student of computer science engineering, I know it very well that there's a magnet inside a speaker. And in the above post, I meant "Magnetic Radiation". I thought that it is quite obvious & understood, therefore it is not necessary to include the word "magnet".

BTW, thanks for the clarification.
    Hi! I am new to these forums.......

Distortion can be caused by speakers, cordless telephones, or anything else that is either magnetic or using a high frequency (newer phones).

This type of distortion is normally described as "wavy" as opposed to "bleeding", bleeding generally occurs when the refresh rate is set too high or the redraw is dropping frames (crappy monitor + high end video card). However this type of bleeding will generally correct itself if you display something else on the screen, by your description it seems the lines remain on the screen so...

You are probably having a driver issue, I've noticed ATI Rage series video cards and Windows 2000 drivers cause interesting problems, just as one example.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.