Thread: Linux MAndrake 8.2 Aid

Linux MAndrake 8.2 Aid

Hi guys,
    I have a question , today i finally got my linux mandrake 8.2 partition working ( not that its a hard time )
    Well my question to you guys , is what should be the first things to set up or to install , what are the handy proggies you guys use....

any thing is welcome , also some practical information about those nast .tar files is welcome ( i know i could found info in other communities or google but thats to hard for a noob like me :-) )

then another thing , i always learned its impossible to vieuw a ntfs - partition ( my WinXP) from linux not even with a mount thingie or something like that ,
    wel anyway , if somebody knows a way to do so , without earasing data from my current partitions , fire youre suggestions away :-)

Ehm i think this is it ( for the moment )

thx in advance guys

cya around
    greetz
    [

Hey, with regards to the NTFS file system and Mandrake have a look here http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/#3.6

hope this helps

first thing to do is to get familiar with using it remember where programs are in the GUI and go this link to learn how to use your command line
    http://www.ctssn.com/
    then you should read up on IPtables ipchains etc to set up your firewall
    and disable sendmail by typing this command without the quote "chkconfig sendmail off" you will probably need to be root to turn this daemon off the link i provided will show you how to switch to root on your box you should try the things they tell you to do you get a better feel for it IMO
    hope this helps
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

thx Alanj23 for help , but i dont know sh*t about linux , you might want to explain me what to do on that site * /me is Ashame*

The first thing I do when I set up a new install of linux mandrake is I shut off unneeded services. You can do this by going into the mandrake control center (there's an icon for it on your desktop). Then go to services and shutoff what you don't want to run. Also inside the mandrake control center it will allow you to search for security and bug updates and installs it for you. If you haven't already done that I would highly recommend you do that.

I can't answer you 2nd question. I use to run a dual boot system with Mandrake 8.2 and Windows ME and had no problems mounting the windows partition. I know there have been issues with Windows XP but I haven't heard of a work around for it yet.

Good Luck,
    [glowpurple]Nate[/glowpurple]

pierreke77
    The url http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/#3.6 explains getting various Linux distros to work with NTFS. XP is mentioned but I have not tried it myself (I use 2000 an NT4 and can mount NTFS partitions) . Also I agree with both prodikal and detox, Turn off unused services and play around with ipchains and your firewall settings.

Webius Designerous Indiginous

Re: Linux MAndrake 8.2 Aid

Originally posted here by pierreke77
    what should be the first things to set up or to install , what are the handy proggies you guys use....
    This is a list of things I grab when setting up a linux box.

Well those are the major ones. I know i'm leaving out hundreds more, but i'm sure everyone else will remember them.

also some practical information about those nast .tar files is welcome ( i know i could found info in other communities or google but thats to hard for a noob like me :-) )
    A .tar file is like (by not the same as) a zip file. It archives many files into a single file for transport over the net. Usually when you download something, it will go into your home directory. so open a command box...

type: cd [ENTER] and you will be in your home directory. then type:

tar -xvf tarfilename.tar [ENTER]

this will create a new directory in your /home with the extracted files. To find out more about tar, type "man tar" at the command line.

then another thing , i always learned its impossible to vieuw a ntfs - partition ( my WinXP) from linux not even with a mount thingie or something like that ,
    wel anyway , if somebody knows a way to do so , without earasing data from my current partitions , fire youre suggestions away :-)
    The NTFS file system is actually supported in linux, but you have to have a special program to view it. I havn't had the need to do this (yet) and suggest you wait til somone else posts on it. If ya have any more questions, feel free to ask.
    xmaddness

PS: man will be your best friend. If you ever need to find out how a command works at the line, type man command. Try man man to start

what are the handy proggies you guys use....
    Evolution for mail, Galeon for browsing, Xine for DVDs, xmms for MP3s.... all of which should be included with Mandrake, although you may have to do a little hacking around in Xine to get it to play DVDs. I've posted the instructions here before, so a search should turn that up.

some practical information about those nast .tar files is welcome
    Although they are similar to zip files, they are also different in some crucial respects. A typical tarball that you download has a double extansion like tar.gz or tar.bz2 because it is actually archived with 2 different mechanisms. Tar archives the files into one big file, and then it is compressed with either gzip or bzip. Fortunately, tar can extract and uncompress with one command.

If the file is compressed with gzip:
    tar xvfz <filename.tar.gz or filename.tgz>

If the file is compressed with bzip:
    tar xvfj <filename.tar.bz2>

i always learned its impossible to vieuw a ntfs - partition
    mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows

That should do the trick. NTFS is read-only at the moment, though. There is experimental write support, but I don't recommend using it because it will corrupt the filesystem. (That has been experimental FOR-FREAKING-EVER. Will it ever get usable, I wonder?)
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

I forgot to mention to try out WineX from http://www.transgaming.com/.

WineX lets you run your favorite windows programs and games on linux.