Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we just AI?

Well let me throw into this my view of things. Human kind by nature seeks to become the God they aspire to be. If we find these things lacking in ourself we do one of two things place fault and destroy (wars) or build machines to make a more lethal way to kill, or aspire and build machines that may do what we cannot. Like life heavy objects, dig a hole, weave a cloth better mass produce. AI cannot be massed produced because it is a product of not one person finding an answer but the "I" is a product of all human kind after all God is supposed to be ALL therefore not one program can contain the cultures, customs, language of all people and AI is not possible but for specific tasks. I know the face of my sons because I was there at their birth, I know the face of my father, grandfather, grandmother, great grandfather and mother because they were at my birth. I am as much apart of the rock as the wind and a star in the sky. Yes in a sense it is all a 0 or a 1 even in the mind. Yet it is only being human that we can arrange or re-arrange the 1 or the 0. AI canot touch, feel nor love only be programed to respond, and life last time I checked is not a single path.

Peace
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

AI vs. People

3 words: Nature vs. Nurture- something you'll learn in a college psych class.

Only the human race not man elvolve, man is nothing without the giver of life a woman. Machines and programs kept my father alive, only I and his family held his hand in death and the machines were turned off upon his wish. A machine did not provide comfort to my mother-in-law heart broken head in my lap that passed away two weeks after her husband. These things are my reality what program can adapt to these things? AI is real but it cannot be reality. Make machines look and act real yes but not at the moment of birth nor death, famlies are about all generations before them no program can ever contain nor learn or adapt to me ever so really AI is nothing more then a conditioned response not unlike a rat learning a maze, and the complexeity of the maze is the programmer. Dr. life is not over at 21 it is about then the BS begins to fall away.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Our Brain is most essential part of our body even computer cant and never will defeat human mind 1st becoz we create computers and computer are invented to help human not to over power them with their great ability, like what cwk9 sez "AI" artificial Intelegent" for computer while human only has "I" "intelligent" ok

if anyones interested in a more philosophical approach to this subject (which although I find interesting i don't currently have time to give my full thoughts) the following book is worth a flick through

Danah Zohar; The Quantum Self, ISBN 0-00-654426-6

to quote the blurb on the back of the book

'... demonstrates how developments in modern subatomic physics demand a radical reappraisal of our conventional model of personality'
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Question Has anyone noticed?

Has anyone noticed that the human race is getting "smarter"?

The human brain is essentially a center for electrical pulses and data flow. there is a reason they call the processor the brain of the computer. Oddly, the method is a lot more similar. The more we discover about ourselves as humans, the more we realize that creation wouldnt be that hard. which brings up another question to those who believe in a god of some kind. would human kind creating one of their own disrespect religion?

If interested, here is my favorite AI
    http://www.alicebot.org/
    Qwerty mentioned here that the human brain is essentially a center for electrical pulses and data flow. Are you not smarter than your parents? Weren't your parents smarter than theirs? Every cell in our bodies has the ability to store data, IMO our increasing intelligence is through the ages is due to genetic coding of our forefathers and theirs, and so on. My own children were born with the instinctual knowledge of my wife and I and our ancestors. Heck when I was 5 or 6 years old I was lucky to accel at "sandbox" and building blocks, at 4 years old my son was typeing with both hands and loading games off of a cassette tape into a Tandy color computer, and playing them!!

I am not entirely convinced we are AI, but I am positive we are "I".
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

the only thing that makes a man better/more aware than a computer is better I/O devices, Humans are born hardcoded with what it would take you or I centuries to accomplish, imagine what it would take to create a computer with temperature, and pressure sensors throughout its entire structure, the ability to assimilate visual data at massive resolutions at 60 fps, store hours of it, recieve and process years of audio on a massive sonic spectrum, and, oh ya, self programming technology. now, all of this is possible, it is theoretically possible to make a computer that is as good as, or better than a human being, but it would take too friggin long. computers are like people already in that they always do what they're programmed to do, not always what they're told, people who are gullible/pushovers are just user-friendly! the reason humans have become like this on their own may seem supernatural, but think about it, if we gave computers the ability to learn and better themselves, build new computers, all the while improving on their own design, how long do you think it would take for them to become sentient? aware? concious? intelligent? advanced? start exploring the world, the oceans, space, the universe. it is even concievable that they would become religious, or otherwise philisophical. how long have humans had to make these moves? and without the help of someone who had been through it, computers have us! I don't see why noone has created artificial intelligence yet, it doesn't make sense to me. the closest thing that programmers have come to creating a program with any hope of becoming intelligent are virus writers! think about it, many viruses assimilate information and incorporate it into the next generation of itself, EVOLUTION, that is what we must use to create intellingence with computers.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

shkuey:

an ability to monologue yes and no statements, and the ability to self modify. Create that and we have the human brain. all of our everyday thoughts are huge complex yes/no statements. creative thought may be slightly different, and thats what makes humans so much different from other beings on earth.
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

Yes, we can reprogram ourselves, but we have technology that can reprogram itself, too. I have noticed that some computers with the same software tend to generate different error messages, at different times and different frequencies. One could call this the 'personality' of a computer.

On another note, to my knowledge, computers today are about as complex as the brain of an earthworm. How intelligent is an earthworm? It is my belief that intelligence, self-awareness, and emotion are emergent properties of any sufficiently complex and self-contained system. I think this definition provides a clear boundary between the artificial and the natural.

And if all else fails, I define intelligence (or rather sentience) as the ability not only to apart from instinct or programming, but (supposedly) in the best interests of an entire species. And finally, sentient life has the ability to question it's own existence. Computers do not.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Banned
    This is a good cosmo topic

In essence, no we are not AI, like others have pointed out. We are not artificial. Do we have similarities to computers AI? Sure. We are taught (or programmed) with all we know, similar to a computer being programmed it's knowledge and functions. But does a computer/AI have basic instincts? Such as response to actions, cause actions, or understand? No. Computers must have a programmed intelligence, while humans have intelligence to begin with. Computers must have an OS or anything installed to function, while we as humans, can do without the art of teaching. We'll be far from intelligent as today, but we can still function, a computer/AI however will not.

While on this topic, would you agree that we, as humans, may be trying to create AI to replace the frailty of our existence with an immortal child? Are we not trying to create these beings as a way to continue our legacy without doubt of loss of heritage? (Kinda like how Speilbergs AI finished.)

It seems that people are to a point that they fear each other too much since the implemitation of the internet and are now only used to talking with text on a monitor. Is the creation of AI a replacement to having to find other companionships?

I'm a little deep in thought today...