Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we just AI?

Question Are we just AI?

disclaimer:
    the text below hasn't been written by the influence of drugs and/or alcool.
    don't complain the author for his crappy english, he already know he would have taken that courses years ago.
    no pet has been injured or killed while writing this post
    ---

You're in the bed, wondering what you did the past few days, asking your god why does your final project still SegFaults in a random-fashioned way, when you begin thinking that your body is an incredible machine.

It autodiagnose broken parts, it tries to fix it, it has a powerful antivirus (altought not much updated. Symantec, what about Human.HIV and stuff?) and cool i/o devices.

And an incredible AI.

Why not?
    The matrix (I recently rewatched it... a bit more crappy than what I remembered..) told us our brains are controlled. Let's take a step forward.

What is an image in our brain? How do we actually "store" faces, places, music, words, emotions in our brain?
    It's just chemestry.

Now, let's suppose to fork() the universe, NOW.
    Ok, there are two ruffos (me that wrote the same mental-crap.
    Is the other one writing EXACTLY the same thing? Probably he is. He has the SAME experience as me, he is living in the same situation.

Do we really have the option to decide our future?
    Or our hardcoded firmware is doing everything for us, giving us the impression (the dream?) of being master of our actions?
    ilruffo at tin dot it
    http://ilruffo.kicks-ass.org
    I can\'t show you the truth. But I can learn you to see it yourself.

The human brain is essentially a center for electrical pulses and data flow. there is a reason they call the processor the brain of the computer. Oddly, the method is a lot more similar. The more we discover about ourselves as humans, the more we realize that creation wouldnt be that hard. which brings up another question to those who believe in a god of some kind. would human kind creating one of their own disrespect religion?

If interested, here is my favorite AI
    http://www.alicebot.org/
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

I agree with u qwerty_smith. The smarterst computer system is our brain. It can process data faster than u can imagine. But for me, clone is not a good idea. Well imagine u can't recognize which one ur reall sister??

Yes our brains are the most amazing processors, but I certainly do not think that our brains represent artificial intellegence. I believe that by the choices we make in life, regardless of culture and upbringing, we have the ability to form our own destiny, to the best of our ability. Culture and upbringing will make a difference in the type of choices we make when faced with decisions, but it will still be and individual's choice.

While I have no doubt that the human body is a most amazing creation, and works in many ways we have no control, we have the ability of choice. Of that I have no doubt. We have the ability of emotion. No matter what AI exsists out there, I don't believe it can ever come close to the creation of the human body, and brain.

IMHO.

interesting stuff qwerty.
    I've got a conclusion: we have the power of choice only if a superior entity exists and permit us to live. There is no intelligible way to think otherway.
    No god (lowercase g, here god means "an entity"), no choice, just switch(decision) { case case case}.

But cloning is totally different stuff.
    A clone is not and will never be an exact copy, provided he is living a different life from the original. Since we cannot send him in a parallel (altought totally equal) universe, and take him back (or just interview him), we can safely say that a clone is a genetically-equal, differently-experienced person.

jmho

Yes our brains are the most amazing processors, but I certainly do not think that our brains represent artificial intellegence. I believe that by the choices we make in life, regardless of culture and upbringing, we have the ability to form our own destiny, to the best of our ability. Culture and upbringing will make a difference in the type of choices we make when faced with decisions, but it will still be and individual's choice.
    How can you be sure?

Take a muscle.
    Stimulate it electrically.
    It will move itself.
    Do it again.
    It will move the same way.

Now take your eyes.
    Photons (is it a correct word?) stimulates nerves. Nerves brings electrical signals to the brain. You see your monitor.

That's I/O subsystem.

Now let's suppose you are a wizard in computer programming.
    You've invented the ULTIMATE chatterbot (Yet another one... uff).
    Now you programmed it to have self-consciousness.

It is SURE he is conscious. He just isn't.

All in all, what's the difference between our brain and an AI?

IMHO we are a sophisticated and self-conscious machine.

Provided there is no god
    ilruffo at tin dot it

All of this re-raise the question of "are we determinate?"
    A scientist point of view would generally be to consider that nothing really differentiate a man of a computer (yes, a man seems to be more complicated than a pc, but it is probably a small difference to the universe).

But Sartre would probably says that we are of "bad faith" (literal and not really good translation for "mauvaise foi"), that we have not the courage to admit we have the choice to be what we want to be at each minute of our live, that we are simply too frightened by the possibility of a total liberty (and of a total responsability).

Ruffo: Your english is less crappy than mine, don't worry.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Perhaps the next step to creating an AI is to create something that can talk to itself, like an interior monologue. How else can we tell ourselves we exist?
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.

http://www.philosophos.com/knowledge...tions_939.html
    Pretty interesting stuff about the subject.

But I've got my own (opposite) idea
    ilruffo at tin dot it

Sorry if this answer seems overly simple.
    AI (Artificial Intelligence). We are not artificial therefore we are not AI just "I".
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man

This raises an interesting point....

Question: Can a program be programmed with out someone to program it?
    NO.

So somthing or somebody 'programmed' us to be aware. And he also programmed us different from the other 'applications'.(creations) If you think about, we are the only entient that can choose NOT to replicate(mate). We as MAN, are the only life form that can go against natural instinct. I wonder why. I wish darwin would have included why no other speicies can do these things
    in his theory.I guess we'll have to ask the Almighty Code Monkey in the sky. hehehhe
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2