Thread: New Search Engine

Post New Search Engine

I know we all love our google, but this new search engine looks pretty good.
    Lets face it. When you do a search and wind up with 2,223,504 pages... who is going to be able to find what they want within reasonable time.
    I know that if you use the google toolbar, it will give you a site rank, but this product may have a better idea.

I'm not knocking google. I love it and you can't beat the price.

Name of New Search Engine
    Quote by NYTIMES

The popular search engine Google uses ranking techniques to sort through thousands of possible Web pages displaying what are often the most desirable pages first.

In contrast, Grokker builds a visual map of the general categories into which documents fall by using what computer software designers call metadata, which describes each Web page or document. The program currently works with the Northern Light search engine, the Amazon online catalog and as a tool for scanning a user's own PC file collection.
    NYTIMES article

If you don't have a uid and pwd for this site alreday, I can post the article. It is rather long, so I didn't do it this time.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I know we all love our google, but this new search engine looks pretty good.
    Lets face it. When you do a search and wind up with 2,223,504 pages... who is going to be able to find what they want within reasonable time.
    I know that if you use the google toolbar, it will give you a site rank, but this product may have a better idea.
    Sounds promising but looks complicated. Haven't tried it...

Anyway, if you wind up with 2,223,504 pages (at any search engine), I think there might be something wrong with the search. I mean, some people simply search "apache" and start browsing from there, while they could've searched "how to setup ssl in apache" and get direct results. If you've never done so, try the advance search for more options.

Normally I find what I'm looking for in my search within the first 3 pages (of < 100,000 pages), but your mileage may vary...

I'm not knocking google. I love it and you can't beat the price.
    I love it and you can't beat the speed.

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds