Thread: "State of the Wireless Nation"

"State of the Wireless Nation"

State of the wireless nation

Computer experts and interested amateurs are joining forces to map out wireless networks around the world and find out how many are secure.
    The results of the first mapping expedition reveals that, despite the publicity about the security problems of wireless networks, many companies and consumers are leaving networks open to attack.

The first survey revealed that 70% of the wireless networks found do not turn on the encryption system built-in to the products.

It also revealed that 27% have not even changed the default name of their wireless components making it very easy for people to surreptitiously sign in and use the network.
    Full story here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2375505.stm

So what do we think the results will be? Will there have been a change to the encryption system since the security issues for Wireless Networks were first raised, or will the results be the same?
    And also, is anyone from AO partaking in this investigation?
    I\'m drunk, and right now I\'m so in love with you.

"State of the Wireless Nation"

State of the wireless nation

Computer experts and interested amateurs are joining forces to map out wireless networks around the world and find out how many are secure.
    The results of the first mapping expedition reveals that, despite the publicity about the security problems of wireless networks, many companies and consumers are leaving networks open to attack.

The first survey revealed that 70% of the wireless networks found do not turn on the encryption system built-in to the products.

It also revealed that 27% have not even changed the default name of their wireless components making it very easy for people to surreptitiously sign in and use the network.
    Full story here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2375505.stm

So what do we think the results will be? Will there have been a change to the encryption system since the security issues for Wireless Networks were first raised, or will the results be the same?
    And also, is anyone from AO partaking in this investigation?
    I\'m drunk, and right now I\'m so in love with you.

No change!!!
    Most sysadmin have no time to take care of the security...

For home user, the biggest part of the market, until product will be secure right of the shelf, nothing will change...

No change!!!
    Most sysadmin have no time to take care of the security...

For home user, the biggest part of the market, until product will be secure right of the shelf, nothing will change...

Little or no change until after some serious damage occurs. Our company is putting in a wireless network for our trainig system. I have repeatedly warned of the security problems this could raise and it was finally allowed that after the system is in place I can use a laptop, download wardialing software and use it to attempt to use our connection or see what info can be gleaned. This only occured after being told it wasn't important, not to worry etc. Finally they conceded the point. This is from a company that hired me as the NSO, states that security is critical. When the rubber meets the road they prefer convenience and blind faith over reality.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

Little or no change until after some serious damage occurs. Our company is putting in a wireless network for our trainig system. I have repeatedly warned of the security problems this could raise and it was finally allowed that after the system is in place I can use a laptop, download wardialing software and use it to attempt to use our connection or see what info can be gleaned. This only occured after being told it wasn't important, not to worry etc. Finally they conceded the point. This is from a company that hired me as the NSO, states that security is critical. When the rubber meets the road they prefer convenience and blind faith over reality.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"