Thread: Explosives and Destruction

Explosives and Destruction

Well, it's halloween again, and I look forward to a night filled with the noises of various explosive devices, from the high-pitched whine of a botle rocket to the dull thud of air bombs. Fireworks are quite popular, especially amongst teenage males. (Even I had a pyro phase, but I moved on...sorta) Everyone likes seeing a big explosion, or something burning down and crumbling.

Why is it that destruction holds such allure? Why is it that collapsing things are so interesting to watch? What is it that makes destruction so much more interesting and exciting than creation?
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.

Explosives and Destruction

Well, it's halloween again, and I look forward to a night filled with the noises of various explosive devices, from the high-pitched whine of a botle rocket to the dull thud of air bombs. Fireworks are quite popular, especially amongst teenage males. (Even I had a pyro phase, but I moved on...sorta) Everyone likes seeing a big explosion, or something burning down and crumbling.

Why is it that destruction holds such allure? Why is it that collapsing things are so interesting to watch? What is it that makes destruction so much more interesting and exciting than creation?
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.

Perhaps the allure is the simplicity. Maybe the more primitive side of the human mind. That hypothesis is pretty well based on the people who tend to destroy things instead of building them.

Perhaps the allure is the simplicity. Maybe the more primitive side of the human mind. That hypothesis is pretty well based on the people who tend to destroy things instead of building them.

Well secretfire,my wedding anneversary falls on the same day and if it is going to be anything like the fireworks then it is going to be one heck of a night.I intend to spoil my wife so that she will never forget it.Hope you have a good one may it be full of wonderfull surprises and fun.Maybe thats why my 20 years of marriage is still like the first day I got married.

regards
    v/man

Sorry thesecretfire I misspelled your name.

regards
    v/man
    Practise what you preach.

Well secretfire,my wedding anneversary falls on the same day and if it is going to be anything like the fireworks then it is going to be one heck of a night.I intend to spoil my wife so that she will never forget it.Hope you have a good one may it be full of wonderfull surprises and fun.Maybe thats why my 20 years of marriage is still like the first day I got married.

regards
    v/man

Sorry thesecretfire I misspelled your name.

regards
    v/man
    Practise what you preach.

As far as I can see, destruction is exciting because your life can be in danger. Or that's how the deepest parts of our brains (those that control the "Fight or Flight" -reaction) see it. A modern person doesn't have to be scared for their life all the time so it's just entertaining to fear a bit sometimes - this is why we don't fear fireworks but only enjoy them. Well, fireworks are of course also esthetically pleasant things, but generally talking about destruction here.

Might also be the will to control the nature. With explosives. Even the greatest mountains will have to surrender for man.

Or just because it's unusual and one gets some changes to their weekdays.

Creation isn't very exciting as it is usually a very slow process, one gets bored for sure. Destruction then. A whole block of flats can vanish in just a couple of seconds. There's action.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

As far as I can see, destruction is exciting because your life can be in danger. Or that's how the deepest parts of our brains (those that control the "Fight or Flight" -reaction) see it. A modern person doesn't have to be scared for their life all the time so it's just entertaining to fear a bit sometimes - this is why we don't fear fireworks but only enjoy them. Well, fireworks are of course also esthetically pleasant things, but generally talking about destruction here.

Might also be the will to control the nature. With explosives. Even the greatest mountains will have to surrender for man.

Or just because it's unusual and one gets some changes to their weekdays.

Creation isn't very exciting as it is usually a very slow process, one gets bored for sure. Destruction then. A whole block of flats can vanish in just a couple of seconds. There's action.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

i dunno... destruction and violence have been an alluring thing to people for a long time. i mean look at all the movies that are pure violence. people like to watch other people get hurt as long as it isn't themselves. i mean look at this whole jackass craze. people like death violence and destruction. just os happens the other day i turn on the tv, and this show was just coming on. well in the minute and a half it was on, there was gun play and a car exploding FOR NO REASON AT ALL! this is the society we live in. Some will say depraved human nature, others will say that there is no explanation for us finding entertainment value in it.
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

i dunno... destruction and violence have been an alluring thing to people for a long time. i mean look at all the movies that are pure violence. people like to watch other people get hurt as long as it isn't themselves. i mean look at this whole jackass craze. people like death violence and destruction. just os happens the other day i turn on the tv, and this show was just coming on. well in the minute and a half it was on, there was gun play and a car exploding FOR NO REASON AT ALL! this is the society we live in. Some will say depraved human nature, others will say that there is no explanation for us finding entertainment value in it.
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda