Thread: Eddie goes redhat 8.0

Eddie goes redhat 8.0

Well today is a glorious day. When I get home I am formatting my computer and ridding it of evil microsoft OS often known as windows XP and am transitioning into a real OS Red Hat 8.0

Unfortuanatly I am not ridding my life of Windows all together though. This brings me to my problem. I am currently on a crappy dial up that will remain nameless but needs software to connect to , this is why I have not gone linux allready. What I am going to attept to do and want to see if anyone knows if it will work or not is this.

2 computers 1 will have red hat other has WinXp
    conected with a cross over cable, I will connect to ISP on Windows XP and will also have PPPshare running to tunnel everything over to the other computer wich will be linux. Will this get linux on the net?

I hope so, I want to learn linux

You can use the internet connection sharing in windows xp pro not sure if it’s on home. I have a similar set up only I do it because I have a win modem in both machines. It’s easier to set up then you might think.

Here's the link that helped me get things up and running
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

I have done it with 2 windows machines before, is there much configuration in red hat? I know with Windows Xp all you really had to do was put the XP disk in the computer that you were networking and browse to network installation file on cd. So I am wondering what I am going to have to do on red hat that will be the eqivelent of that. Oh yea , I do use XP pro. Thanks for the reply, its good to know that someone has the same set up and it works so I should be fine

Well once you get ics(internet connection sharing) up and running on windows its just a matter of plugging the right numbers into redhat there is not special software or anything that needs to be installed. This should sum it up for you
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_other
    If you need to configure the DNS you can find the Primary DNS and Secondary DNS ip's from your ip by using the ipconfig /all command in dos.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Maybe you could partition your harddrive to dual boot so you can have WinXP (or any windows OS since you said you aren't fully out) and Linux RedHat. It seem's like a good suggestion, and If you need help, simply pm me. Btw, Welcome to Linux!
    Space For Rent.. =]

Well that wasnt so bad. Took a little time but as I am posting this I am using Red Hat. It works... Sweet. I can connect to the web...Sweet. everything appears ok.

Only came across 2 problems.

1. I have a zip drive how do I mount. does not even realise is there
    2. I have 2 20 gig drives, only 1 appears