Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help on which os to choose

well, i partitioned my hard disk a while back, and tried insalling freebsd on a 3gb partition i made, but it all went horribaly wrong and i almost lost windows (damd partition magic didnt help) ..oh well i was told freebsd has a habit of eating lesser operating systems

so suppose it comes down to now..if i used mandrake, would i be able to get it up and running..i dont mind fomatting etc and getting used to it. Or ill just have to go back to windows

"whatever gets through one (hardware) should theoretically be stopped by the other one" by cross.

I really disagree cross i am sorry but i have to disagree. One, if you run two firewalls there is a problem with that because somewhere along the line there would be a bug or error involved, which will really make it easier on who ever that is trying to break in. Firewalls are to keep the wanna be hackers away from your computer, but the real hackers for a firewall to keep them out of your box, you have to keep updating it and make sure it is a good firewall too. But i definitely do not reccomend two firewalls on a box. Anyways i really think you should use Win2k, Black mantis. It is not all that great with networking actually it is but i think is better because it is built on NT technology. It has the priveleges that NT has with networking and it operates way better than NT.

I hope that helped you, but you should also read and see what other people have to say.

Two points:
    1. How much was windows 200 again (specifically server, advanced server, etc)? You must make a compromise between cost and user-friendliness. *nix os's are mostely free, but most of them are very particular with whom they would make friends with.
    The main reason why *nix are difficult to start out with, is that most people have had their minds programmed into the microsoft way of doing things. With *nix you have full control over your whole system. You can customize it to whatever you want. BUT, becoming an advanced *nix user is a long road. If you take this journey, you will touch on almost every aspect of computers: programming, hardware, encryption, etc (instead of learning how to point and click.) People often argue that there is no proper technical support for *nix. A quick search on this and other websites will expose you to a wealth of information, written by people who've been through exactly what you have been. I've been using FreeBSD for just over a year and a half, and i am still learning new things daily. I know 6 different languages, 4 of which i use daily. I have had an immense amount of fun trying to figure out what to do and how to do it. I would suggest *nix any day. (then again, windows does have it's advantages of *nix)

2. Most problems run into with *nix are because of what the user has done (or has not done). If something messes up, it's your fault! --RTFM--

If your staying in Windows, then Win2k Advanced Server. If converting to Linux (you really should ) then try out Linux Mandrake, Redhat, or SuSe. Once you get familiar with Linux, continue to try out other Linux distro's (Debian, Yellowdog, Caldera). Hope I helped!
    Space For Rent.. =]

Originally posted here by Black Mantis
    i currently have windows 2k pro on it, i have a copy of advanced but like you said it has to have 62mb of ram. 2k runs ok on it but i really want to get into using another os than windows, the problem is that the other pc is my mums and i only have a 20gb hdd on my pc..and its always full, so really my only option would be to install it on the gateway server if i was going to do it.

doh!
    Well actually Win2K Advanced Server and Server say they need 256 memory. But I have installed them on 128.

If you use windows try www.winproxy.com and use that it has a built in firewall and antivirus. The antivirus is updated almost hourly.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree with most of the advice that's been given here. As several people have already pointed out, Win2k will sit like a brick on a P-166, and no way would I ever deploy NT4 for something like that. Aside from the stability flaws in NT4, you'd be looking at a whole bunch of expensive 3rd party add-ons to get the kind of functionality you'd find in most any Linux distro for free.

Nor would I recommend a distro like Red Hat or Mandrake for a network gateway to somebody with no Linux experience. Sure, there are plenty of HOWTOs out there and it's really not that hard if you know something about Linux, but it can be a daunting introduction to Linux if you haven't used it before.

Instead, I would recommend one of the Linux distros designed specifically for this purpose like Smoothwall, IPCop, or Mandrake SNF. They install and configure easily with a minimum of hassle, and most of them have nice web-based configuration tools from the LAN side. No muss, no fuss. And they're free.

www.smoothwall.org
    www.ipcop.org
    www.mandrakesoft.com/products/snf
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

ive decided go to with mandrake 9, i know it might not be the best but it looks simple..atm ive got a 1.5gb hdd with win2k on it so im going to install mandrake on the secondary 8gb hdd then if i dont like it i can just wipe it clean and use the win2k i already got setup.

Wish me luck!!

Thanks for all your help aswell