Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Programming Question?

Smile

I didn't know that roswell, interesting, I wasn't refering to Visual Basic tho.

Basic (The one in MS-dos (8 years ago) was actually one of the first language I learned! I remember having fun changing variables in Gorillas.bas when I was a kid :-)

Yes Basic was fun to learn but it would'nt be practical today. Anyways like I said it's all about what you can do with the language you are using.... I guess it's just a question of style and personal preference.

Take care!
    Binary_01

A Journey of a thousand miles is started by taking the first step.

Thanks alot for your input fellas... I know for a fact that im taking c and c++ next semester so that should break me in...

Ninja Code Monkey
    Any language is good...just stick with it and learn the syntax of the language AS WELL AS good coding practices (the two are quite different). The Practice of Programming ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books ) is a very good book to teach you good programming habits (non language specific).

Also...asp is not vb. ASP is a platform where you can use any com compatable scripting language to do your server side processing. Most commonly used with vbscript and javascript...but can be used with perl and some others. If you tinker with asp I'd highly recommend learning some vb or c++ so you can work with com components.

It's all a piece of cake...just stick with it and practice.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Got to put in my plug for c++!!!

Where, exactly, to do you want to go with your programming? The answer to that question may help you decide where to start.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

If your asking for my opinion, you eventually want to learn how to program in C or Assembly. However, if your starting out, I would recommend using Pascal, Perl, or QBasic. Once learned QBasic, you can move on to VisualBasic, etc. After using these languages (Pascal and Perl), you can learn Java, which eventually will take you to C. This is similiar to the path I took, so you can take it or leave it, your choice.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Binary_01 put it the best. But if you have never done any programming in your life before I would suggest learning something like BASIC, PASCAL, or even Perl. I wouldn't jump right into C real quick as that is more of a complex language compared to the others. If you do anything with websites go with Perl.

I would avoid python, since your just learning programming, learn c or c++ first.That's just my two cents.

I am doing python right now. I have some experience with c but python is a little bit simpler.
    Perl is also a good language at first to.
    Here is a beginners guide if you do decide to try python.

http://www.honors.montana.edu/~jjc/e...tut/node4.html