Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eek!

I can't believe this. I never knew you could hack in to a computer and endanger the person's life. They should clarify what they mean. I'll bet you no one in congress knows how to send a freakin' email. They probably have to call the secret service to figure out how to send it. The point is this is NO FAIR!!!!! i want a petition...

Palemoon I fail to see the relationship between profiling to focus investigation and the internment of Japanese Americans during WW-II. You may be against profiling and I am sure that you have your reasons, that is not my point. But to draw a relationship between that and the plainly criminal actions the Government took out of fear against Japan Americans after Pearl Harbor is pushing the limit of credibility. As far as I can tell from my reading no Middle Easterners whether citizens, visitors, or carrying Visa's have been retained without cause for undue periods of time. The inconvenience of a few hours is nothing compared to the stealing of land, property, and the incarceration of years. In summation my point is that to draw that comparison is exactly the type of hyperbole that causes people to reject arguments out of hand. Your other points, many of which I agree with 100%, are compromised when you overplay the actual occurences that have happened currently.

The discussion of profiling is a seperate discussion entirely (one I fear we may find ourselves at odds on). However, to fight paranoia and hyperbole with paranoia and hyperbole seems counter productive. I wish a good William Webster or Clay would arise to bring balance and focus to the current situation. On one hand we need to do our best to ensure the safety of our nation. On the other hand we must be careful not to trample our basic freedoms and our relationships with other nations in our rush to accomplish the first goal. It is tragic that thousands died on 9-11, but if their deaths lead to a relinquishing of our freedoms then we invalidate the sacrifice of hundreds of thousands who have died to keep us free. Balance and reason must start to take precedence over hype, fear, and rampant paranoia.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

Interesting isn't it. The only people they're ever going to catch, are the script kiddies, or the hackers that bungle about & have no regard for watching their backs. Pretty soon, the jails' will be full of people who have no clue, and the more 'elite' will still be rampaging around, screwing up their networks just to spite them! It's allready happening, quiet hacks going on as we speak, busting through the pathetic defensive mechanisms the gov boxes have in place, and easily exploiting their unpatched servers. Instead of bitching & moaning about how hackers are bad, and how they're going to arrest every single one of them, why don't they actually *do* something about worldwide security. Help implement an update system that *works*. Hilarious. Cowboy attitudes will get the US congress nowhere.
    \"The distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistant illusion.\"

Phirencore.
    David@Swayn.net