Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm building a box

I'm building a box

Ok, as the title say's...I'm building a new box.... but I have some questions...
    This is my first build and I was wondering if the following Spec's are any good.....keep in mind...I'm on a budget. (All part's ahve been put in..If i'v left something out...please tell me)

1.44 Mb Floppy drive (Euro 19)
    CD-ROM Lite-on 52x IDE (Euro 32)
    Samsund DVD/CD-RW Combo (Free! coz I already have it )
    Casefan 8Cm (Euro 10)
    Gigabyte GS-7VAXP VIA KT400 Socket A U133 Sound/USB 2.0/RAID/FW/LAN DDR (Motherboard) (Euro 135)
    DDR RAM 256MB PC2700 (Euro 109)
    Western Digital 40Gb 7200p U100 (Euro 111)
    AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (1733Mhz) 266Mhz SockA Tray (Euro 139)
    999A/828A Bigtower 300W (Tower and Powersource that will support P4 so it should support and AMD) (Euro 39)
    NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX440 64Mb TV-Out/Retail (Euro 83)

Special Quiet CPU Heatsink Cooler from QuietPC.com (The orange thing on the right) (About 38 Euros)

Comes to a total of about 700 euro's.... Plus maby some more for special silver based Conductive paste and Round IDE cables adn such...

Is this good value for money...

Also I was thinking of changing one of the sides out with Plexiglas and Insert some Blue Neon Light's....
    Has any one ever had any problem with Plexiglas sides? or Neon light's??

Any way...I'm all happy 'n' stuff......any feedback would be great

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Banned
    Hey Noia,

Go For It! Trust me the look is awesome. I personally don't have it, but a friend does and it rules. There's also a processor fan that has lights you *could* get. It's idle color is blue and during processing it's red (like the access light on the front of the case)

Your setup is similar to mine. One word of advice, if you get trouble with the Viatech chipsets, try installing without the 4-in-1 drivers. It seems to run better without those drivers.

Do you plan on purchasing some sorta soundcard (for heavy gaming?) the chip is not bad, but I'd suggest a soundcard later on. (especially for newer games)

Besides that, everything else sound good (although I know little about the Euro difference )

I'm planning on uprgeadin once I get some more money...the CPU thingy sounds cool, although I'm not sure I'd be able to see it with the HUGE heatsink....
    A sound card comes built in with the Motherboard...but I think I'll get a 5.1 chan system once I get some money...
    I havn't got a clue wot the 4-in-1 Driver system is, I'll ask my Tech teacher who's helpiong me build it...

tanx for the feed back
    - Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Currently, I would advice you to put 512 Mo of RAM in your new computer. Think to the future.
    What is the speed of your DVD reader for CDs? Maybe you don't need to buy a specific CD-rom reader.
    I personally advice Asus motherboards with AMD Athlons, but VIA is also good.
    As for the RAM, your hdd could be bigger (understand 80 Go): the prices of the memory decrease again and again.
    Where is the network card?
    The screen? It's not an element without importance. I know you have a restricted budget, but you should use a screen of a well known company (lliama's are the best, but I use a Nokia and I'm happy of it).
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Yeap everything seems fine, Although maybe you might want to get a better graphics card, the geforce 4 mx is really a slightly faster version of the geforce 2 just with the new name, It is only a direct x 7 based card. Try having a look for the geforce ti range instead I think the ti4200 is only about 100euros. You get a much faster card, and it's also a direct x 8 based card.
    But other than that everything is fine, I wish you luck with your pc building, Have you though of a name for it yet? :-)

I'v looked around at the graphic's card...and this one seemed good value for money...since I'm on a tight budget...
    I know that 256 Mb ram isn't much, I have 320 on my current box but that's SD, and I'm also selling that one.....I'm planing on buying an Extra 523 Mb once it's built though.

The DVD/CD-RW is fast enough for all my need's, but I take alot of music with me on travel and to school and stuff, and I don't like to bring the origionals because they get stolen or scratched....

Does any one know if a Plexiglas panel could cause any problem's?
    or the Neon light's?

- Noia

I personally advice Asus motherboards with AMD Athlons, but VIA is also good.
    I haven't looked at motherboards in a little while, but don't most Asus AMD boards use a VIA chipset? At any rate, VIA used to have some problems with their chipsets (speaking as an owner of said problematic chipset ), but they're really quite good now.

One note about hard drives, and this is purely personal preference. I used to be big on Western Digital hard drives, but I quit buying them years ago because I found that they had a higher than average failure rate in the first couple of years. I had about 3 go bad in the span of a couple of years. These days, I find Seagate to be a better drive, but that's just me.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Problemchild: yea..Id rather have a Maxtor, but the problem with budget comes in again..I think I'm gona go a bit over budget (Not like I havn't already ) and get a 60Gb maxtor

I haven't looked at motherboards in a little while, but don't most Asus AMD boards use a VIA chipset?
    Depends on the board. Asus does and doesn't, with some of the newer boards coming out and scheduled to come out, some users prefer the AMD chipsets, but the VIA ones are available.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    I would go for the Maxtor or a Seagate, back in the days I woudl have said go for Quantum, but they are now Maxtor. People seem to like or dislike a HDD brand for a particular reason... I'm not a "Western Digital" person, but perhaps others are, I mean it's not that you are going to purchase something awfull
    Adding more ram in the future is not a bad idea...
    Think about the fans, don't spend a lot of Euro and save on the fans. They are vital for your systems health (and your ears). Make sure they provide enough cooling.
    Speaking about graphic cards the MX version you mention is indeed a low range card. A Ti is way better but costs way more. You can also consider a Prophet 9000 with 128 DDR ram they are worth their money unless your against all that's not GeForce / Nvidia

I think you have a very good box there... not the fastest or the biggest but yet a very performant box without going over budget restrictions.