Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why dont businesses or schools use redhat 8?

why dont businesses or schools use redhat 8?

this is just an observation ive made having just got redhat 8 up and running a few days ago, why dont businesses start to use it?
    it can be purchased online for next to nothing and as far as productivity is concerned, it makes things such as typing, spreadsheets and other whatnot much easier than the same sort of thing in windoze, hey i even got the printer working at last and my external 100 meg zip drive (usb), why dont busineses or schools seem to be waking up to such a high quality product for a very minimal cost or nothing?

mrleachy I Am India and I study In am buiss.school .I thick they do not teach redhat 8 in schools because teachers they selfs do not knows rehat .It is a long time before redhat is learned by the teachers and start teaching at school

"it can be purchased online for next to nothing and as far as productivity is concerned, it makes things such as typing, spreadsheets and other whatnot much easier than the same sort of thing in windoze, hey i even got the printer working at last and my external 100 meg zip drive (usb), why dont busineses or schools seem to be waking up to such a high quality product for a very minimal cost or nothing?"

For a start businesses & schools dont yet have the skills to deploy linux. I would argue with your point that spreadsheets & typing are easier under linux. I use MS Office and Openoffice and I can tell you MS Office is superior SO FAR. Also you saying that you have got your printer working "at last" is another indication. At the moment linux (far superior IMHO ) isnt as easy to set up/use as windows. But its getting closer all the time. The fact that Sun are bringing out linux workstations to compete against windows will make it happen even quicker.

yeah well the only reason the printer was a problem was the fact that canon neglect to provide drivers for their printers for linux, the online docs for it did prove to be very helpful in setting it up and everything was very clear and concise, so really anyone can set up a linux system, provided they have the patience to actually read the docs a bit for once instead of microsofts click and go stuff

<edit>
    only just got the printer going, using a driver for a different canon model that was provided with redhat 8 (what i use) and it prints perfectly :-)
    </edit>

"provided they have the patience to actually read the docs a bit for once instead of microsofts click and go stuff"

Which still isnt viable for places like schools were click and go is exactly what they want. But linux is closing the gap.

wow, maybe my case is rare, but we do use Linux red hat at school, in fact before Thanks Giving vacation instead of a lecture the teacher showed everyone how to install it on a machine that was runing DOS and thenwas using win95 and now has redhat Linux, my book for this class came with Redhat.

Actually if i lived one block away from where i do i would go to a school district that uses rh on all their machines, for one because it is cheaper and another because they think it is the OS of the future, and I agree with them there. the reason that my school(and most other schools) dont use red hat is because they dont have teachers that know it well enough to teach it, or dont have anyone that has ever used it before, and the schools cant afford to send a few teachers off to learn how to teach it.
    I did not come here to tell you how it is going to end, I came here to tell you how it was going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, then I\'m going to tell these people what you don\'t want them to hear.

it makes things such as typing, spreadsheets and other whatnot much easier than the same sort of thing in windoze, hey i even got the printer working at

Not Realy On The Typing/SpreadSheets And As Far As The Printer Thing I Think That had to Be The Users Falt Evedentaly Your Not To Good With Computer Hmmmmmmm?

teachers / school / etc... teach whatever they use...

so- as long as Windows is the standard- Windows will be tought...
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Are you talking about workstations or servers?

I work in a large company, and yes, we do have a few Linux servers around, but not too many. There are a lot of things to consider, and here is an example of 2..

1. When companies buy operating systems, they usually want some contractual agreement with the vendor covering warranties, support, maintenance... Remember, some companies dont even have an IT department. Who would it be in this instance?
    2. I, like a lot of other IT people out in the world have various client applications on their workstations, a lot of which do not have linux versions.

As much as I love Linux, I think that WinDoze will be around for a long time, especially in the corporate field, and for good reason as well.
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]