Thread: "White Hat" Script Kiddie?

Banned

Question "White Hat" Script Kiddie?

Hey All,

Was bored last nigth and spent a little too much time thinking.

Anywho, the question on my mind is this.

If a person uses script kiddie like programs that are readily available on the internet, but uses them to test their own networks security structure and strenght, then would that make them a "white hat script kiddie" or would they just be a white hat hacker?

Now I'm speaking, not only along the lines of home users, but system administrators as well...

What do you think?

Hrms... I believe script kiddie is someone who only downloads a program and clicks some buttons in order to 'hack' a server (they actually have no idea what vunrabilities they are exploiting). A white hat is someone who has ALOT of technical knowledge and usually knows how to program and discover their own exploits without using securityfocus.

With that said, I would say the administrator who uses SK programs to test his/her own server is not a white hat or a script kiddie. They are just an administrator testing their server. It requires next to no knowledge to use a SK program, and just because someone is a system admin it doesn't mean they are automatically a white hat.

script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

Re: "White Hat" Script Kiddie?

Originally posted here by tyger_claw
    If a person uses script kiddie like programs that are readily available on the internet, but uses them to test their own networks security structure and strenght, then would that make them a "white hat script kiddie" or would they just be a white hat hacker?
    If you are testing your own system, you're not anything, except smart- I don't see the big deal about all the labels these lame wanna-be haxors give themselves.

Good question,
    Answer: Not a "white-hat", just a "good admin" !!!
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Banned
    I dunno. I could give credit to someone who hangs out in open source conf. and then adds features and other improvements to bugy software. I remember when I was little these peaple who added inprovements to existing code were highly respected because they made alot of bugy stuff work better but now days anybody who downloads something that they haven't made is known as a s.kiddie.

However I think anyone who breaks into things to appear "COOL" is a lamer and anyone who downloads things without somehow fixing, improving, understanding, and learning is most definetly a s.kiddie.

I honestly don't see the point of breaking into your own box other than for mear entertainment purposes. I mean its fun if you get a few buddies and do a wargame but if your planing on playing with trojans then you have to re-formatt alot which sucks!! and by the time you learn a new way to deffend your box someone will come up with another way in.

My point is very much around many of the previous posts, but it also alot to do with intentions of the "script kiddie program". In my mind, intentions play's a big role. They can be using it to test their networks (after all, other script kiddies can be using these tools to 'hack' that same network) for vulnerabilities and anything that would cause malicious harm to that network. Now, if that user decide's to use the tool against another company, a website, or at anything at all, that's when the line is crossed IMHO.
    Space For Rent.. =]

If the person is using stuff to test there own systems and network, then that person is doing what everyone should. Afterall, it is only smart. It doesn't make him a script kiddie or a hacker or white hat or blah.. I hate those "title" anyway. It doesn't matter. For one, I see no need for labels... Labels are a result of egotism. You may say "No, it is a way to seperate you from the lamers" Hah! Yeah, why? So you aren't "associated with THOSE people!" .... Sounds like egotism and pride to me. Why don't you just forget about it and study your computers... Afterall, isn't that what it's all about? Of course I am not picking on any single person. I have no person in mind when I am saying this. I am speaking about the general populous who creates all these labels so they can make of themselves what they want.

Raven

anyone who has a need to be identified with a group rather than just doing what they want has a few issues no matter what color hat they try to wear.

Why can't you derive pleasure from hacking your own network. i mean how does that differ from building ships in a bottle or raising bonsi. It takes patiance and skill. Hacking your own machines is just going to make your network stronger and you a better administrator. It will not however give you a hat.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I think it's a very smart idea to test your network, home or office, against the the many kiddie scripts that are easily availible to people. Not everyone knows how to hack, but everyone can download and run a kiddie script. It just further narrows the chance someone can get into your network. Very good idea.

Banned
    Thanks all for your input.

It's always nice to see different perspective on ideas.

And I agree totally, that labels are overused, and that "hacking' your own system doesn't make you a "true" hacker, but an even better title of "Super Admin" *joke*

Testing the vulnerabilities of your system is always pratical in any sense you look at it. There's no debate on that. But you've all pretty much answered my thought of the exagerated labels