Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How important is Physical education to us?

How important is Physical education to us?

Hello everyone, I think that physical education is very important to us, and now they are thinking about cutting out of students every day schedule. Some kids/ students, will not or attempt to excercise by themselvies. SO it is important that since school forces them, and it is a requirement for them to pass Phy. Edu to pass their grade, students will excersie more and keep themselvies in a good shape. I do not like the idea of them cutting physical education off. Some kids are getting big from lack of excercise, and this is not healthy, mentally and physically. Some people come to school just to be called FAT BOY or FAT ASS all day, now that i do not think is fair. I am posting this because it has been bothering me for awhile now, and i wanted to hear what you guys think. I just can't stand to see these kids that can loose their weight if they try, get made fun of. Sometimes i wish i can do something to help it, but no body listens to me eaccept my fellow peer leaders. So, i think cutting physical education will definetely increase the number of unhealthy kids. This as i heard in the news can also increase the possibilities of young kids having a heart attack, and dying young, now this, god is my witness i do not want to hear about or see. I know we do not want a world in which kids have heart attacks, and die early or young. It was just bothering me, and i thank you guys for hearing me out.

I 100% agree. I stopped Phys. Ed. in grade 10, and I stopped playing hockey after grade 12. I am now in 3rd year university, and well let's just say I put on a few pounds. I am probably 15-20 pounds heavier than when I stopped sports altogether. I have not grown any height-wise, just waist-wise. I have been going to the gym for the past few months and it's done me a world of good. Between weight-lifting and cardio work outs I have dropped 10 pounds of fat, and feel way better about myself (I also try to cut as much fat out of my diet as possible) Phys. Ed. does a body good, and now that I've experienced life with and without it, I'd say we need more of it (at least 1 hour per day!)

ebo, whos talking about cutting out gym?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Ebo, what you say is indeed sad...kids can be cruel. As Algaen pointed out, individual responsibility is the key, here. As for children under the age of 18, I think the parents should be the ones ultimately responsible for their child's health. Even though, obviously, physical education is a benefit to our health....my final opinion is that we depend too heavily on the government to 'save us from ourselves.'

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Thats is true, but what can a parent do if they tell their kids to excercise and they decide that they wouldn't. To a parent, forcing their child to excercise will not give them a good feeling. I know this because of a friend of mine. His mom tells him to excercise, but he refuses to. He is 14 years old weighing 280 pounds, I try to help him and he says that he can't. Sometimes he feels like he was going to faint. I don't try to force him anymore because i do not want him to get hurt in the process of making his body healthier, if i do not feel right foring my friend, do you think his [parents will feel right forcing him? As for him working out by himself it is the impossible, so we need things like school, and the physical ed. to push him, make him reach a point that we the friends and parents can't force him to reach. Tedob1, I saw it on AbC, they were discussing the fact that they are thinking about cutting physical ed. I saw it awhile agao, and it has been bothering me ever since. -Ebo

Well, it is their [parents] responsibility to ensure that their children are healthy. The school/government does not need to be involved in such matters. It is really an annoyance to some of the students that could fit in better/other classes during that time, which are more beneficial to their case.

Hey hypercube, are you telling me that it is fair that these kids get called all those names, just because you think some kids want more time in classes? Well think again my friend, If you were a heavy kid, or was ever a heavy kid, I don't think that you would want more class time, or school at all after the way they are going to treat you.

just to point out, it's not *just* exercise for some people. for some, (many would probably be more accurate) genetics and biology come in to play. for instance, i do close to no cardiovascular exercise ever, and every couple of days i'll life my freeweights or do pushups, etc. at about 5'11&1/2", i weight 140lbs with around 5.5% body fat. i've been trying to watch what i eat, recently, but regardless, i put on almost no weight ever.

but yes, i do think wholeheartedly that people should exercise more than we are nowadays. because everything is moderated, people become accustomed to having things done for them. this leads us to be rather weak and inactive, so even the idea of exercise becomes tiring.

i say you should help yourself before it's too late...
    i will shoot you so hard.

I think it's ridiculous to remove phys ed from school. When I was in school, too many years ago to mention, it was explained that physical education was required for two reasons. One, obviously for fitness. The other was to try to instill it as a habit that we would continue to follow after we graduated. Exercise is as important for the mind as for the body.

I walk or jog a half hour a day in the morning, and in the afternoon do about 20 minutes for the upper body. I've done this regimen faithfully for over 30 yrs and don't feel good if I miss more than 2 days in a row.

Originally posted here by ebo
    Hey hypercube, are you telling me that it is fair that these kids get called all those names, just because you think some kids want more time in classes? Well think again my friend, If you were a heavy kid, or was ever a heavy kid, I don't think that you would want more class time, or school at all after the way they are going to treat you.
    So, PE is going to be a good thing for fat kids who are getting teased? You're HS is obviously very different than mine, then.

Where I am the government wants to make PE mandatory in grade 11 and 12, and it's a horrible idea. I have to waste a bunch of time so that some politician can look like he's making positive political change? It won't accomplish anything except that. A few hours of gym won't do anything signifcant to help people.

Let's see what I could do with a time block: I could sleep in, getitng valuable hours that I've been missing over the course of the year. I could study for that big test I have coming up. Oh no wait, I can't do those tihngs, I have to go throw a ball around. Oh well.

PE is fine and good if it's something you want to do, but making it mandatory in high school is a horrible idea.
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.