Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C++ question.. Whats your fave compiler?

C++ question.. Whats your fave compiler?

What compiler does everyone use? Which is the easist basic one out there?
    (Noob here =)-|--<, hehe )
    Can be free or not... Anyhelp will be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    ~Apollovega~
    \"I will control my Destiny Terenica...I\'m not afraid.\"

if i'm on windows, i use visual c++...it is very simple to use. if im on my linux box i will use gcc of course with emacs as my environment
    kNoWLeDgE

Antionline Herpetologist
    The compiler I like the best, especially on Linux/UNIX platforms is the GNU C++ compiler. It adheres to all the standards and it's very barebones. However, if you're looking for a compiler/IDE that's really easy to work with, I'd suggest Bloodshed C++ for Windows. If you're on *NIX, learn to use the GNU C++ compiler (g++).

BloodShed C++ can be found at : http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
    GNU C++ can be found at : http://gcc.gnu.org/
    A port of the GNU compiler to Windows called DJGPP can be found at : http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

hehe

I'm on Winblows 98 se. I have bloodshed but was wondering what everyone else uses
    ~Apollovega~
    \"I will control my Destiny Terenica...I\'m not afraid.\"

It's a gas!
    Im only learning the ropes of C programming, ive used Borlands C environment but i find that Microsofts Visual C++ environment is pretty straightforward and n00b friendly.

As for Linux's GCC, the text editor (vi in my case) is not as pretty but does the job just as efficiently.

So:
    Windows - MSVC++
    Linux - GCC

Just my tuppence

Cheers

r3b00+

I'm with reboot..

on Windows (at work) I use MS VC++6
    and on Linux and BSD and windows at home, I use GCC with jed or mcedit wich both have great syntax highliting and stuff..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

for windows if I'm going for IDE I like the borland compiler. The only thing I don't like about the Borland compiler is that it doesn't ever give any meaningfull errors. If I'm going for a barebones compiler I'll use DJGPP but I won't like it, barebones compilers take to damn long to do the really big projects but they are great for programming something real quick that only has 1 or 2 class files. Actually my favorite compiler is JDK but that's for java, someone needs to port it to C++. JDK cut's my debug time in half cause the errors it gives me are like this is wrong expecting this not just syntax error line 27.
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

Borland

i use borland c++ builder 5 in windows and gcc in linux.but guys something terrible happened when i installed borland a few days ago.after the installation whenever i opened a program i came up with a error message,providing some numbers that have to do with my memory.so i finally formatted my hdd.i think i made a mistake during the installation.....i changed some settings that had to do with the system's debugger.ah yes i can now recall that had to do with the drwtsn32 program.but i'm not sure.anyway i suugest you to be very careful when installing a compiler on your system.

I've used Borland C++ 5.02 and bloodshed too. but i like borland one more. BTW, was wondering whether Borland BUilder is diff from the Borland C++ comp. and if it is then wht are its advantages over it??