Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who can i trust??

who can i trust??

firstly hello all

im a new member and have been lookin through these forums for the last few days or so..the reason being i got secruity concious after a bloke who i work with was infected by a virus via the internet (thats how he said he got it)...so i got security minded

so firstly i thought its about time i updated my antivirus software (was 6 months outadate)then when i ran the updated antivirus it found i had a pwsteal programme which ive now sorted...my main problem is i got this virus/trojan (being a newbie im still learnin so excuse my inaccuracys) from a so called security website to be honest can remember name or address but my point is how do i know who to trust????? i seen lots of threads in antionline which i was interested in i.e download "the cleaner" from www.whatever.com but how do i know its ok (cos only a fool gets burnt by the same fire twice)

also i dont mean any disrespect to antonline and have found this site both helpfull and the members seem friendly

hpoe for a good responce

waterboy

Banned
    Trial and error, man, trial and error... j/k
    You could always ask for advice here... with over 100k members, I'm pretty sure we know the good ones from the bogus ones... And common sense is a good starting point.

Re: who can i trust??

Originally posted here by waterboy

how do i know who to trust?????

I think everyone in alt.hackers.malicious is trustworthy.....j/k

From the name of the program, you might consider changing all your passwords. Then, on the other hand maybe it was just a spoof, probably not, but maybe. Checking out www.lavasoft.de for their AdAware program will be helpful also. Good luck.

cheers chaps

im in the process of changing passwords etc luckily enough ive only got win xp and counterstrike on my pc ...so theve only got my email passwords so its easily sorted

cheers again

now time to do some research on firewalls

waterboy

You can always trust me

but seriously, as negative said, there are many people on here who probably know authentic ones and bogus ones. and on a further note, never trust microsoft :P
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Who can you trust do you mean from where to download programs ?

Try and always download program's from the product vendors website AND alway's scan you're downloads with an up-to-date virri scanner even if you download them from the vendors website (you never know if it has been compromised and corrupt downloads have been put up).Try to avoid p2p file sharing programs these are rampant with virri from trojans to worms if you are using a p2p network just scan every file you download avoid files with double file extensions
    and always keep your virri scaner updated that is the most important thing dont panic if your virri scanner picks up a virus and it wont remove it just check the symatec website for removal instructions
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Originally posted here by The Old Man
    From the name of the program, you might consider changing all your passwords. Then, on the other hand maybe it was just a spoof, probably not, but maybe. Checking out www.lavasoft.de for their AdAware program will be helpful also. Good luck.
    I have Adaware,but curiosty caused me to DL another Spyware/Trojan seeking program,mainly to check one agianst the other.....

I found running Spybot Search and Destroy,after Adaware,found many things Adaware overlooked,and to me is easier to use......

http://beam.to/spybotsd

Good luck!!

Trust no one

and I'd have to agree with Bohogg, spybot is a more thorough cleaner, but it deletd my loginname for my DSL too and I was lucky I had a copy of that so it might just be "too clean" for some
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

it deletd my loginname for my DSL
    Ouch!!!.......I probably should say to waterboy that Spybot list results of what is found.You can scroll through the list,hi-lite an item for a description,and if need be uncheck the box before deletion.......Sorry for not mentioning it before.....