Thread: For the parinoid...

For the parinoid...

I was reading this article on PCWorld.com and I must say that after reading it, I'm feeling more parinoid than ever. I know I don't have anything to hide, but knowing that the technology exists is what I guess is keeping me on my toes.

The article is called...

Yes, You Are Being Watched

Some such technologies remain in the hands of a few powerful entities and are shrouded in mystery. However, today the spy kits of private companies may contain tools that a potential target might not even know exist. By the same token, some supposed surveillance capabilities are less science than fiction.
    Digital video cameras already have slashed the cost of surveillance in public spaces and private buildings in the past few years, putting unsuspecting people in the gaze of a lot more cameras. Digital cameras can be made much smaller than analog ones, said Mihir Kshirsagar, a policy analyst at the Electronic Privacy Information Center, a watchdog group in Washington, D.C. They also produce clearer images, which can be transmitted over long distances in the same ways as any data.
    Read or print the full thing here .
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

If we are good persons and aren't doing "weird" things in public places (or in places we think are hidden too)... well, then not too much to worry about this.

Bye.

Yes, Dark Raider.. I see your point... but who is defining what is "weird".

I don't know how your laws and your rights are in your country... but where I am... I see them getting taken away more and more everyday.

This technology can be used for good and bad. I'm not just talking about "big brother" watching you... if they can do it... anyone can do it...

You have your web cam plugged into your PC right now? Someone with the right know how could be watching you right now... and you wouldn't even know it.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Good point on "Big Brother", hehe!!!, yes, you're right if we see it form that point of view, it will depend much on each country's laws, what is well seen and what isn't, and which person to be consider as doing "weird" things and which not. Here in my country, unfortunately, any little "weird" action is considered strange by authorities, mmm???

This type of thing doesn't surprise me at all. Just think, most of the major retail-type stores have been using cameras with lenses the size of pen tips that scan about a ten-foot radius for about 10 years now. And that's in the private sector...we won't even talk about what the military uses...not to mention all of the spy/surveillance sites out there...it can be a bit overwhelming to many people.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Thats a frightening article, especially the part about Silent Runner. I don't think they can really say they are that well in control of it, because it only takes ONE leak to have that system running rampant over the internet. I'm suprised that they havent mandated that all isps have it installed to monitor their users under the guise of "Homeland Security"

One thing that is actually partially off...

Heat-sensitive infrared cameras can't watch you through the walls of your house. They can see you walking down the street day or night, but in your house they can detect the indoor temperature only.
    Heat sensing quipment can and does scan through walls, though it usually is used to identify marijuana growing systems, I'm sure its only a matter of time before its fine tuned to pick up even more.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

With the average inside-building temp at 70f, and the average body temp at 98, don't you think the infrared could discriminate between the two? Perhaps not thru heavy construction, or metal, but how about through the matchbox construction of most of today's residences? I watched one apartment complex being built, and the only place they even put insulation was between the exact studs where water pipes were going to be placed (freezes around here) and everything else was particle-board wrapped in paper, plastic siding, and sheetrock on the inside. There is an outfit over in CO. that has done extensive testing with various techniques and materials to see what could withstand rifle bullets (but not a fullscale military assault) and it seems to me they also said it defeated remote listening devices etc.
    I would not bet my java-change that there are not devices available in the civilian sector that could give you ghostly images thru exterior walls, and certainly thru interior walls. Ten years ago there was thermal-imaging devices that could trace the path a warm body took on it's walk thru a warehouse, some hours after the warm body had left.
    Not that i care what "they" can see, it's just interesting to discuss the equipment and the possible uses it can be put to.
    And, you *DO* check for minicams, transmitters, one-way mirrors and mini-peeks in those plate-glass mirrors, paintings, clocks, and t.v.'s at the hotel..... Right?

TheOldMan > I know its almost like conspiracy-cliche, but what about the bibles that are in almost every single hotel room in the US? The technology is fascinating and frightening at the same time really. After hearing about the capablities of the KeyHole and Lacrosse sateelites, I wonder what todays current lineup of eye-in-the-sky birds can do? I've heard some interesting rumors regarding detection of radioactive elements in watches by satellites, but never really found any good proof of it.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO

I've heard some interesting rumors regarding detection of radioactive elements in watches by satellites, but never really found any good proof of it.
    What about that ship that they pulled away from NYs harbor pretty far out because of suspected radioactivity? You never heard about that again... did ya? I don't remeber when that happened... but I know it wasn't that long ago...

Satellites? Who knows... but how would they suspect something like that... Its not like its glowing green like in the comics.

EDIT: My bad it wasn't NY... it was NJ. Read it here.

phishphreek80 > What ship? I never even heard about that the first time! I would imagine they would train the birds on airports, ports, and any other major point where people would come into the US. Another possible use would be scanning a known weapons bunker or plant, and watching for transportation of materials?