Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To ride or not to ride... that is the ?

To ride or not to ride... that is the ?

THIS IS SOMTHING THAT SOME MAY NOT HAVE THE STOMACH FOR... SO BEWARE!

I was out riding dirt bikes this past weekend and I was having a great time.

So great of a time that I started looking into the pros and cons of riding motorcycles.

I was thinking of getting the kind of bike that you can take both on road and off...

I did some "research" and here is what I have come up with so far...

Some of the "pros"...

Pretty inexpensive to buy.
    Insurance is dirt cheap.
    Gas is very inexpensive, because it can run for weeks on 1 tank of gas.
    FUN TO RIDE!

Some of the "cons"...

DISCLAIMER/WARNING:
    The following pics are not for those with week stomaches. This site contains some very graphic pictures and if you are at work and school, I wouldn't recommend going here.

This has pretty much changed my mind about getting my own bike...

You'll see why here.

MY ?:
    Are there any AO members that ride and do you think that I should get a bike or not.
    I am going to keep my car either way, and I won't be riding on the interstate... just around town and off road.

I know how to ride pretty well and I'm a very fast learner with almost everything that I do.
    I really like doing things that get my blood pumping... and riding bikes def. does that.

Everyone I've talked to has a story about someone they know...

I want one... but I don't....
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Well, I'm not hungry anymore.

I've riden bikes my whole life, and I must agree that here, South Florida, Its just not a good idea anymore. I've had two of my friends end up in coma's because of them. As safe as a rider you think you are, the drivers always seem to find a way. If you live in a rural area, then go for it. Otherwise if your a city dweller, like me, then I would advise against it.

Banned
    The thing I would suggest is purchasing a dirk bike instead and when you get a chance, put it on a trailer and drive out into the country and drive it out there with some friends.

You mentioned driving it out on dirt roads, so this could be a solution

It just seems that there are too many dangers with bikes on the road.

awwww man i saw the title and was expecting something else altogether

grrrr had my hopes all up - hehe
    wonder how peps viewed this thinking the same???

v_Ln

I agree with tyger_claw here, I own two bikes, a large powerful road machine and a fairly large off-road bike.

The road machine rarely gets ridden these days and the dirt bike is trailered to the bush where my friends and I have a scream - lots of thrills and spills, but at low speeds and we are always dressed up like gladiators with all the protective gear - in this environment we are almost always in control of our destiny, unlike on the road.

We have just come back from a day out and had a laugh a minute, must have fallen off 1/2 dozen times trying to put these things where mountain goats wouldn't go - but I am still in one piece and not in pain. Has to be a bonus.

With the roads becoming congested as they are, motorcycling among the traffic is extemely hazardous to your health and there isn't really anywhere you can ride the large road bikes these days to use them to their true potential - (except at a race track) where you could end up like the man in the picture or in jail.

Go with a dirt bike, keep it off the roads and have a ton of fun but remember to respect the area you are riding in or the authorities will close it off to bikes.

The Iceman Cometh
    I have two Honda bikes and I would never trade them in. I've had my share of spills, some definately worse than others, but most aren't too bad. Purchasing a bike, like anything in life, has it's risks involved. Xmaddness makes a very good point: although you may feel like you're in control, control of any vehicle, especially a bike, is a complete illusion. Someone may hit you, you may hit a puddle and hydroplane, you may hit a branch or something else on the road and lose control, you may brake too hard and fly off you bike, you may simply blow a tire and fly off the road. If you're considering a bike, you have to take all of these risks into consideration. I personally, am a proponent of bikes as long as you are mature enough to handle the risks involved and you take the time to respect the power of the bike.

AJ

Sorry if my post is incoherent, I haven't been sleeping too well.

Alright that was quite shocking to say the least, but my dad doesnt let me buy a two-wheeler because he believes it's really really dangerous. He sayz there is still chance for you to live if you are in an accident in a 4-wheeler than a 2-wheeler. I guess it's true, so i dont press him much. Moreover, who would mind driving a nice car ?
    \"I have a 386 Pentium.\"

Dirt bikes rule, but I'd never take one on trafficked roads.
    Shelby Spencer

Thank you all very much for your opinions/advise.

I think I am going to go ahead a get a dirt bike and just ride it up into the "country"...

The back woods are only like 15 min from where i am now.

Again, Thank you all!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

if you think that can't happen to you on a bike in the woods, oh well!

those pictures could very well have been of pedestrians hit by a truck, sucked into a passing train, passengers in a car or plane, someone watching TV in a house that a plane hit. if its going to be you its going to be you. nothing you can do about it.

you should buy a bike thats made to be used the way you intend to use it. I think you made a good choice.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”