Thread: Office XP DOC lock virus?!?!?

Office XP DOC lock virus?!?!?

So i work for a small bussiness part time computer tech, and i've come acorss a problem today.
    my assumption is virus, but i do not know. Word and all of office has a file lock.
    Normally this is used when someon on the network has documents shared and if two people open them at the same time, the second person gets a readonly version. Well today i come into the office and a computer on the 7 PC network has this problem with every document that is opened even if a new document is opened. Looking at the screen i notice most buttons and menus are greyed out and not be clicked, a few things such as open is still black and able to be used. However its not jsut word outlook is the same, most the pulldown menus are greyed out. So Office is rendered useless because no chacnges can be made and no new documents can be made. fortuantly there was an extrra computer laying around that we placed in place of this one. however, while setting up this other computer. another computer in the office came up with the same error. so my immmediate idea is disonncect the network so if its a virus it don't spread any more.

So my first attempt to fix is reinstall office. well no luck. so maybe its a virus, ran virus check off of systemworks 2002 cd, and got nothing. i will be doin an online virus check later tonight at RAVantivirus.com.

if anyone has any idea at all i would love to hear it i really don't wanna have to format these computers they are office equipment and are needed daily, hopefully i won't be up till 5am tonight working in the office.

please email me back at bermar43@pct.edu if anyone knows anything about this.
    I know that i may never be all the things that i wanna be, but now is not the time to cry, nows the time to find out why. I wanted more than life could ever grant me.
    We are the people our parents warned us about.

Re: Office XP DOC lock virus?!?!?

Originally posted here by dammitberky
    So i work for a small bussiness part time computer tech, and i've come acorss a problem today.
    my assumption is virus, but i do not know. Word and all of office has a file lock.
    Normally this is used when someon on the network has documents shared and if two people open them at the same time, the second person gets a readonly version. Well today i come into the office and a computer on the 7 PC network has this problem with every document that is opened even if a new document is opened. Looking at the screen i notice most buttons and menus are greyed out and not be clicked, a few things such as open is still black and able to be used. However its not jsut word outlook is the same, most the pulldown menus are greyed out. So Office is rendered useless because no chacnges can be made and no new documents can be made. fortuantly there was an extrra computer laying around that we placed in place of this one. however, while setting up this other computer. another computer in the office came up with the same error. so my immmediate idea is disonncect the network so if its a virus it don't spread any more.

So my first attempt to fix is reinstall office. well no luck. so maybe its a virus, ran virus check off of systemworks 2002 cd, and got nothing. i will be doin an online virus check later tonight at RAVantivirus.com.

if anyone has any idea at all i would love to hear it i really don't wanna have to format these computers they are office equipment and are needed daily, hopefully i won't be up till 5am tonight working in the office.

please email me back at bermar43@pct.edu if anyone knows anything about this.
    I m assuming that you used the office xp, and did not register it, or your trial is up. There are many different trial types, one can be a maximum number of the application being opened, after that number, it will be disabled until you activate it, or purchase the full version. IMO

no it is not a trial version it is a real copy.
    I know that i may never be all the things that i wanna be, but now is not the time to cry, nows the time to find out why. I wanted more than life could ever grant me.
    We are the people our parents warned us about.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Are the files on a fileserver? Does the server have a backup program that runs nightly?

If they are on a server I would restart the server - sometimes files get locked open though usually only one at a time and only a restart will unlock them. It is unusual that they would all lock open which prompted me to ask about a backup program..... Maybe it malfunctioned.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides