Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A question pertaining to all of you.

A question pertaining to all of you.

Alright well I have a love for computers, especially for computer security. I try to spend as much time learning about computer security as much as possible. But their is so much information, it seems near impossible to learn everything. I stumble upon a topic, to be only sidetracked to another topic I must understand first. I read so much and remember very little. I read books like Counter-Hack and Hacking Exposed. Which is way out of my league mostly because I don't want to do anything I dont' understand. (and these books are mostly references) So ive been directed to learning TCP/IP. In which right now i'm trying to know perfectly.

And then I come to the Antionline Forums. Where everyone here is GOD in computers. To me, this is very depressing. Compared to my friends I know a lot, then I come here, and it seems to me that I know next to nothing.

So what i'm trying to get at is how long has everyone been in computer security and how old is everyone? (if you don't want to say..thats fine with me).

I'm 17 and been into computer security since about 15.

(and i'm sorry for the Lame post)

im 19 and ive been interested for about 2.5 years. I am by no means a god tho. for a year and a half of that tho i had no access to a computer what so ever. so i am not great at all. now that i have one again im getting back into it . hence i just joined here etc .. good luck tho for the future
    Just because you don\'t see it doesn\'t mean it\'s not there

I've bene playing with computers for about 10 years.
    I've only been really interested in security for about 3 years. I'm am 22 years old.

Security has to be by far the most interesting part of computing. At least to me.
    I am by no means an expert, nor do I try to be. I help other people, and other people help me.
    I read and play all the time. Its great.
    It works out nice that way.

Sounds like you are on the right track.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Well I'm 15, and been into computers since about 12. Knowing TCP/IP perfectly is a big task. But you can learn the basics quite easily, like understanding what goes on in a SYN/ACK (Syndicate/Acknowledge) handshake and learning about IP addresses. For example, knowing that an IP address is a 32-bit numerical address that is assigned to a system and activates itself once the system establishes a connection with the internet is basic. Knowing how to route and trace that address as well as get more information about the system using the address is more indepth. Good luck on your quest to gain knowledge.

Regards,
    Silentstalker
    -{[ Joe ]}- (Joe@nitesecurity.com)
    http://www.nitesecurity.com

[shadow]I\'m Just A Soldier In This War Against Ignorance.[/shadow]

yeah hopefully. I'm aiming to learn TCP/IP as best as I can along with Red Hat Linux.

Red Hat is a good Linux Distro. When you're done learning, use it a bit, and then see if you want to try Slackware. It's a little more complecated, but it's a good OS.

Regards,
    Silentstalker
    -{[ Joe ]}- (Joe@nitesecurity.com)
    http://www.nitesecurity.com

[shadow]I\'m Just A Soldier In This War Against Ignorance.[/shadow]

lol im 25 ive been into computers like 5 years and so much to know what u learn today is almost always obsolete tomorrow as far as tcp its important to know the fields and stacks
    and it has flow control and sequencing and all that jazz lol good luck here is the place to be because here you will evolve more quickly than not also you will be in sync with the problems of the experts and intermidiates thus you will catch up and stay with the times at the same time
    My only fear in death is comming back reincarnated.

\"Would I ever sh*t you?\"
    \"Of course not you are my favorite turd.\"--E5C4P3

Im 24, and have been working in the security field for 2 years now.

I remember being fresh out of Uni, and knowing pretty much nothing about security. But on-the-job training and learning I think is the best form of education.

Although, I do spend a lot of time researching, reading etc, which also works wonders.

I think that the best way to independantly learn about security is to gain expert knowledge about different fields, bit-by-bit. ie. Try and learn as much about TCPIP etc, and focus on that until you are confident that you know a lot about it. Then you can move onto OS Security.

This is how I learnt what I know today, and I think that you will find that it gets easier to learn new fields as you go, because they are all related to some extent. Some may disagree though. But I suppose we all learn differently..
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

Smile

I remember the days when you could use the HOTMAIL servers to send bulk mail....

I remember the days when One.Net (Aussies Only...) were just starting out...

I remember the days when usenet was still "owned by the masses" and ISP's wouldn't censor the groups...(Some ISP's have banned alt.2600.hackerz...that's just pathetic......)

I remember when Napster was just starting out.....

I remember a time when having Win 95 meant u were a sell out....

I remember when BSB was an art form....

I remember a time when anything above 56k was a dream......

**** I'm old.....

The Iceman Cometh
    I started using computers (for basic things) about 12 years ago. I started programming and working in the network security field 6 years ago. At the time, I was also working as an independent consultant to two small divisions within HP (I had met the CEO and a few employees on a field trip there and I impressed them with what I could do). I started my own tech business 4 years ago (taking an existing client base that I had built up just doing odd computer-related jobs here and there). I have a Bachelor's in High Tech Management and am pursing a Masters in Computer Science. As I pursue my degree, I am concentrating on my business and teaching CS classes at a Cal State University. :-) Also I have a number of certs, including MCSE (NT), A+ and I'm studying to get my MCSD (what can I say, I'm bored... lol)

AJ

PS: And all this before my 22 birthday...