Thread: How about using a winmodem as a linmodem?

Question How about using a winmodem as a linmodem?

Hey everyone,

It's me again. I finally got a hold of a linux book and red hat 8.2, and it runs like a dream. The only problem I have is that my modem is a winmodem that runs off of drivers specifically for windows, and the sites that I have gone to (such as linmodems.org) say that 3com/USR fax modems (like mine) as of now have no linux drivers. Do you all know where I could find some? I have to log onto the net while using Win2k for now.

Thanks for the listening ear guys,

Gil-Galad
    \"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\" - Voltairé

You might want to try the Linux Modem Drivers site.

Cheers:
    DjM

I tried that out and I don't think those drivers are for 3com/USR chipsets...

I could be wrong about that though, maybe I did something wrong when trying to install it.

Gil-Galad
    \"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\" - Voltairé

OK then, you can check out THIS it's a link to 3com and it mentioned something about beta Linux Drivers for Wireless PC Cards and PCI Adapters. Don't know if that helps at all.

Good Luck

Cheers:
    DjM

I think this may be something here. Thanks a million DjM...

If this doesn't work, I'll probably go the easy way and search for cheap modems compatible with Linux, lol

What you should do is scrap that Winmodem. Winmodems are built specifically for Windows. Hence the Win part. But nowadays modems are almost a dime a dozen so you should go out and pick up something else. Sorry.
    I AM THE KING OF FRANCE!!!! NO I AM THE KING OF FRANCE!!!!

Originally posted here by HaqZombie
    What you should do is scrap that Winmodem. Winmodems are built specifically for Windows. Hence the Win part. But nowadays modems are almost a dime a dozen so you should go out and pick up something else. Sorry.
    BRAVO Man, well said. DONT waste the time involved by forcing that winmodem to work on your linux box, its like stuffing a PCI into a ISA, Go out and buy a new one, and trash that winmodem, its no use of you. too many headaces, i spent endless nights with my laptop, going through numerous books trying to do the same thing.... TIME IS PRECIOUS
    Im Chris Bartholomew - 18 Years old

TSeNg
    questions? Cxbartholomew@yahoo.com