Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have your say on hackors

Since 9/11 I think the definition of the word terrorist has changed forever. Seems that everyone who doesn't toe the party-line is one or is viewed as a potential one !!.

I have always said "Paranoia with Destroy Ya"

I have to agree with Tedob1 on this one, I have yet to see mandatory sentencing work .... the court system should be seen as an extension of the community and reflect the communities values on various matters - this is where sentencing guidelines come into action, mandatory sentencing tends to reflect the governments vote-gathering slant on these issues, which in most cases is somewhat misguided.

Every case needs to be judged on its merits.

For instance if some spotty-faced script-kiddie was to have their pride-and-joy computer confiscated and "donated" to some community organisation or school that could put it to good use, it would probably have enough impact on their like-minded friends to cease their activities without burdening the tax-payer having to pay for another misguided kid behind bars and benefit the some section of the community against whom they had erred.

For the habitual offenders - well let the community values come to the fore and deal with them.

About the hacker vs cracker business...I agree with you 100%. However the reason why the media does not make the distinction, and same with the gov, is because it becomes to confusing for people that are not part of this "inner cyber community." It's sad that the two deffinitinos can't be remembers, but it's just fact. I think it might have something to do with the fact that everyone seems to make/think everything is 10times more complicated when it involves computers or electronics. This, however, is far from the truth (as we all know).
    To be God is to be Root, if someone is erking you just type: rm -d /home/heathen

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I was just curious... isn't Tedob1's post from Security Focus, not unerror.com.. I remember seeing it in bugtraq the other day... I believe it was written by Kevin Poulsen.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

All I'm going to say is that the govenment should look inward to the corruptness that's going on there before they start pointing and shaking their fingers at a world they can't even start to explain. I too have been shunned when I say the word "Hacker" And it has been very refreshing to have a place to go (AO) when I need to be with "my" people.

Thank you Antionline for giving me a place where I belong.
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

back to origin issue:

hacker / cracker !!
    i totally agree with you Phat_Penguin regarding the 9/11 thing.
    but since i live in the meddileeast, i have 2 views ( mine and the community )
    as for me: hackers are a well educated peeps with a very high scurity skills and i respect them, unless they go for illigal actions.
    if a hacker brakes into computers without informing Admins about the hole he went through, he is a cracker and no more hacker.

the community view: it's not easy to find well computer educated peeps to vary between hacker / cracker, they just hear the word hacker in a movei, news or other peeps.
    thats why the def. hacker been used widly as an illigal computer scurity actions ( brakes into computers ) but regular / normal peeps don't understand.

-bimmer

I think that as soon as our government realizes the difference between hackers and crackers and treats hackers with respect, these types of problems will just unearth in the future. The biggest problem here is exactly what bimmer said.

Originally posted here by bimmer

the community view: it's not easy to find well computer educated peeps to vary between hacker / cracker, they just hear the word hacker in a movei, news or other peeps.
    thats why the def. hacker been used widly as an illigal computer scurity actions ( brakes into computers ) but regular / normal peeps don't understand.

-bimmer [/B]
    I think that in the next few years, people will start to realize the difference, due in part to JP and this site. There's a lot thats been done, but also a lot to do. Perhaps our gov't should look at AO and see what we have to say......
    If at first you don\'t succeed, try again. Then give up. There is no sense in being ridiculous about things!