View Poll Results: What did u think of it?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very funny

2 25.00%
  • Funny

3 37.50%
  • Not so funny

2 25.00%
  • BOO..BOO!!!!!

1 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/S assignment

Arrow O/S assignment

Dear AO members, i have an assignment to do on O/S's and one of the parts was the popularity of each one. i know there may have been countless polls on who's is who's favorite ect. but i want an up-to-date graph, in which i can hand in. and i wasnt going door knocking and asking people who would look at me with a silly face and "woah, was was in my cuppa this morning".

so, i thought i come to the place where the info is. here. so, if you dont mind, please vote in the poll and even give me some feedback on why you chose the selected posts
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

I use SuSE 8.0 Pro, and Win2K Pro/WinXP primarily. They are my favourites overall. I have tried
    pretty much every Win OS and linux distro as well as proprietary Unix out there. Bah give it 10
    years and there will be no such thing as proprietary Unix anymore.

Hi,

Windows XP for sure. It's the MOST compatible OS ever made. It was the OS that show me the most about computers. It was the OS that "found a job to me" and so i'm an independent person now. It has everything i (personally) need for a computer. I just will use other OS the day Microsoft shows me a new one.
    By the way, i'm learning Mandrake 9.0 lately but i can't compare it to what XP do to my life yet. I spend really good moments with XP (work, games, design, etc.).

Bye.

DKRR

i use a dual boot system with windowsXP and Slackware linux.. i use linux for experimenting and because i enjoy learning about it and how it works etc and i just love the look and feel of it . i use XP for gaming (LAN and standalone) and for work related stuff..
    Just because you don\'t see it doesn\'t mean it\'s not there

Hey Hey

Right now I've got a winXP desktop and a win 2k Laptop, my roommates desktop is WinXP, and the computer in his car is DOS...

While i'm a big *nix fan, i've found that with some of the XP/2k utilities out now a days *nix isn't needed in the home environment, especially when XP/2K are still a head in certain fields.

My XP desktop is hardly used (I prefer to sit in my lazy boy with the laptop).. it's basically a server, running apache, guildFTPd, smtp/pop3, mysql.. and i've got php/perl/jdk... theonly other thing i do with itis watch movies.. So why make the move over if you don't have to..

Good work, keep it comming guys. this is fairly important to me (y)
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

My O/S of choice is Windows 2000. I wouldn't trust it out-of-the-box, if you will. But, compatibility is pretty good, and there are quite a few things that you can get for free on the Internet. Probably not as many as you can get for a *nix box, but some of those projects have been ported to a Windows environment.

At home, I have a firewall, PERL interperter, C/C++ Compiler, Java SDK, Apache Webserver, GIMP, WinAmp, and a load of other things running on it.

Our school recently ordered new computers. All of them were running XP by default, but the school went and installed Windows 2000 on all of them.

I think *nix is pretty good, and I use it ocassionally, but until my modem works with it (simply finding my driver CD and translating it), and I can find a "My Computer" type icon, it will be very difficult for me to catch on.

-Tim_axe

tim_axe this isnt quite on the topic but i just am interested to know .. why did your school change from XP to win2k what was their reasoning behind it?
    Just because you don\'t see it doesn\'t mean it\'s not there

I mainly use Win 98, (yes, im a p00r bastard) Zone alarm firewall Pro.
    ][message from g0d: \"I\'LL MACE YOU G00D!\"][

Well, my first computer about 4 years ago came with Windows 95, i got the PC from my unckle and did homework on it and stuff, then i got a new PC and it came with Windows 98 SE and i used that everyday, and i had another PC thatr came with Windows ME, i used ME enough to learn it and then popped in the Free BSD install CD and rebooted, lol, i also used it as a Linux test box and used BeOS on it, my ex g/f ganked it from me and my first Pc died and so i used it for DOS, i accidently opened a HD killer type tool, it was called bomber.exe and it wasnt zipped, i went to close the window i had open and it opened it by accidsently double clicking it, at first i was like **** and usually Windows 95 takes time to load programs, this seriously opened right up and i saw something saying copied copied copied and it wasnt even one second, this alsmost seemed to go in slow motion as i hit the power button, when i turned the computer back on nothing loaded and it asked for a system disk. I worked on it for months and nothing but PC-DOS 6.3 would load, it said there wasnt enough space for Windows 3.11, which was what i tried putting on after we got DOS on it (my best friend was helpin me) i didnt know much about compuyters at this time and didnt know how to fix it so basically i ended up giving it to my frends dad for use as a case, i kept the mouse, speakers, and monitor, and i had taken apart the PC since it didnt work i figured id at least learn about the inside of the PC. so i bought the computer im using now which is the one that came with Windows 98 SE and now iv ****ed this one up to a lil bit and it wont load anything but Linux, so right now all i have is Suse Linux 8.1 professional. im gunna be buying a new PC soon i hope and thats going to be a pure Windows box for games, school and stuff like what i use this for. iv used a buncha OSs.