Thread: Help with LAN connection

Help with LAN connection

I want to coneect two computers using lan....both have lan cards installed on them....one is running WInxp & the other is running WIN2kp......pls help regarding these two comps with lan..i have the required lan cables and all

two things, first you have posted this in the wrong spot and you should repost it in the general chit chat section. second if you want it setup so both can get online you will need either a router or a switch, if not a crossover cable will work fine. connect both to the router and most have dhcp setup and then you can just access them by using shares
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

pls help regarding these two comps with lan..i have the required lan cables and all
    Ok, what cables do you have? If you have patch cables, (straight through) you are going to need a hub or switch or router (if you want to get online) You can also use win2k or XPs ICS (internet connection sharing).

If you have a cross over, than you can connect the first nic to the second nic, set ips that are on the same scheme and you should be done.

There is much docs on this already in the tutorial forum. Please search the site for more info.

Oh, BTW: The tutorial forum if for tutorials only, not for posting questions.

good day.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Hi,

First, everything above regarding the cables is correct.
    If you want to share your internet as also make an home network you'll best need a broadband router, hub or switch.
    If you just want to connect two pc's then a cross-cable 'll do fine, but you 'll have to reconfigure the ip-adressing for the pc's. for ex. 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2. You will be able to connect trough your explorer to transfer files and so on.

If you also want to share your internet connection and you have a broadband (xDSL or Cable...) , not a 56K, a router with DHCP-function and firewall is preferred, but a switch can do also do the trick.

Enjoy,... As the ones above I would suggest to PM a moderator to let move this thread....

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

thx...will change the thead asap...thx for the help...

Hi,

I have found some links for you (about building LANs) from the Tutorials forums so here they are:

- Link 1 here

- Link 2 here

Good luck!!!

DKRR

thx..Darkraider..veryhelpfull..BTW can anyone tell me how to PM a moderator..thx

jhgrew,

You can PM them the same way you PM any other AO member. Just look for the Moderator that best fits your needs.

Bye,

DKRR

thx..Darkraider..veryhelpfull..BTW can anyone tell me how to PM a moderator..thx
    jhgrew: the moderator for the tutorials is Negative.

Look him up in site members, and send him a PM that way.

Here is his profile.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    One thing worth noting, once you have networked succesfully, you'll need to create identical user name and passwords on each box if you want to do file sharing without having to login to the shares. I assume that this is a home network otherwise I wouldn't suggest this method for various security reasons.

My two cents...
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden