Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you work/What Do you do?

Where do you work/What Do you do?

Hey Hey.

As i've prolly said before.. I'm taking Computer Systems Technology at college which is basically preparing us for Network Admin/ Security Admin. I'm just looking for some feed back. Everyone in my program seems to think they'll end up working for hosting companies or ISPs and I want them to realize that basically every field has networking people in it. I was wondering where some of you work and what you do in your job. Basically I'm trying to put together a report on the subject to demonstrate to them that the possibilities are really endless.

Thanks,
    HT

Well, I just graduated from a two year college and going into a four year on MIS. I wonder if I will be able to find the job I like, even though I'm very close, but not on pay. I'm a network monkey at school and I get small to medium size contracts to install or upgrade networks. I also do the typical PC repair, to make some cash on the side.

I think I'm actually doing pretty good since I'm an international student and besides learning stuff on computers I had to learn the language (english) and about the culture, everything in about 2.5 years.

Let us see what you guys do!.

Oso
    Todo lo que no me mata me hace mas fuerte...

Well, I work @ an elementary school, with over 300 computers on the network and two servers. when I started there, there were only a few computers on the network. It took 1 year and two new servers, but now the networks great. The pay's great, all the computer toys I want, and I get the summer off.

-- and on top of it all...I was hired straight out of high school, and they're paying for me to get my certs...cant' beat a government job.
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

hehe, you guys are gonna luv this. i used to run a computer store in arkansas, but it got shut down, now i work at a wastewater treatment plant. i guess you could say it is a shitty job, but it pays good and the plant is run all by computers and PLCs.
    $µ®Ð

lucked out

I work for a small bank. I do all kinds of stuff.

Some of my duties include, but there are many more... too many to list. : Manage user/computer accounts, backups, installs, helpdesk, upgades, configs of new PCs, installing patches, manage the phone system, e-mail, yada yada yada. There are a couple of us that do everything. I don't get to do security that much though. Only some internal stuff and following procedure/policy.

My number 1 job function: Anything my bosses tell me to, or I think of, or a user(s) need.

I'm kind of on a work study job. I get to do and learn everything while my bosses mentor me and make sure everything gets done. The pay isn't great, but i'm doing it for experience and my love* for computers. I'm still in school too.

I think that with tons of experience and lots of eduction and certs... I can prolly do pretty well after I'm seasoned.

The best part... I got the job by asking for a position in the mail room. (long story)
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I currently work as a Department of Defense (DoD) contractor, doing software development for government projects/contracts. I will be finishing up my BS in Computer Science this December and continuing on my job with this contractor. Since they have paid for all my security clearances, I will have a lot of freedom to work where ever I want.
    Regards,
    Absolut

This is great stuff everyone..Thanks to everyone who's posted and to the rest of ya....
    keep em coming!

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Well,

I'm a belgian who works in The Netherlands, just across the border.
    I install, maintain and manage fiber optic equipment along with my colleague in three regional optical networks, so we've a lot of contact with ISP's, Data and Internet clients

This is a very interesting job, lots on the road, our bosses work in the headquarters
    300 km north, so we're pretty free in our job.

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

MMMMmmm well,

I'm working for a engineering buro. We provided engineering for telecom operators and also registration of all underground cable network. Currently i'm detached to a firm that mantains/expand and manage fiber optics.

Gr33tz
    Remember...the most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=298

It's a gas!
    Well i do helpdesk support for a large 'entertainment' corporation, which isnt my preferred line of work, but im currently undertaking my BSc(hons) in IT and Computing and also learning the Linux ropes. So by the time i have graduated i should be able to walk into a nice cushy sys/net admin or s/w development job!

Cheers