Thread: Safari!!!

Safari!!!

I haven't used it or tested it but from what i have read and from the look of it ( damn it looks good ) i reckon apple's web browser safari is the nicest one i have ever seen.

have any of you guys used it? .. what did you think?

one other question if you can be bothered

what browsers do you guys use and why?

http://www.apple.com/safari/

ps - sorry if this has been done before i was trying to search the forums but it was taking ages and returning blank pages.

also http://www.apple.com/macosx/ looks very nice
    Just because you don\'t see it doesn\'t mean it\'s not there

Safari is very nice, still in its beta version though. It's "untagged", which is the main disadvantage to me. Speedwise, try to compare it to Opera 7 for windows, its almost as fast. It has a good css support, nice interface etc. There are more features yet to come, but if it won't be tagged I won't use it. I use Chimera (Boosted), primarily because of its speed and Mozilla, because of everything else. And I can't stand IE because its so bloody slow on macos x and because of the way it caches pages (on any platform).

Banned
    is NS7 any good? i'm running win XP and use netscape to surf the web. i think it works well but i don't know much about browers.

I have been using safari since the open beta came out, and really like it for basic web browsing. AO is incredibly fast compared to netscape 7 or IE.

I do have some problems with it. It refuses(and I have looked for a solution with no results) to open an https connection with a site using a certificate which is not provided by the major providers. I have a site which I maintain for myself, and have a certificate on it, which I created, just to get the encryption, and safari refuses to go to the site. It does not even seem to have a place to modify that setting.

Also, I hate the way it works when you click in the address field. When working, or even browsing for fun, I often want to copy and paste from the address bar. In netscape 7, if you click in the address field, it highlights the whole thing, which is what I want so I can then just copy, without actually having to manually highlight the whole line.

Anyway, for serious work/browsing I open netscape. For just looking around AO or slashdot or something, well, I use safari.

IchNiSan: triple click will highlight your address bar. One is for activation, one highlights extension and the last one highlights the whole thing , You get used to it in a while. Safari does have some problems with SSL, hopefully will be corrected in final release.