Thread: Jobs

Jobs

I want to get into the computer industry one day, but i don't really know what i want to do. I like webdesign, that's a big possibility, but i also like security, and i am interested in programming.

What have you all done? Did you like it? Or did it just seem like long boring hours behind a computer? I'd love to hear your stories/ideas.

Thanks!!!!!
    ~SonicDragon
    http://sonicdragon.fateback.com
    Bringing a Little Fun to Tech!

Well I started programming in BASIC when I was 6.
    So you can say programming is my passion..

Now I work as a C/C++ programmer for a small company.

If I were you I'd try to find out what it is you realy like to do..

You say you like webdesign, but what about webdesign is it that you realy like??

The Design side or the real implementation..

Do you like to point-and-click your dreamweaver or do you like to look at the <html><head><title>Wow a real website</title> code ??
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    This is really cliche advice and I don't mean to be trite.....but you know that little saying that goes something like if you had millions of dollars and did not need to work for a living -- what would you do? Well, the answer to that is supposed to be the job you should be working towards. You seem to have the same problem I have....that is you like so many things. I don't blame you. I was trying to learn several languages at once -- almost forcing myself because I felt like I had to know it ALL right now. However, I decided to concentrate on just c++. I picked the one that made the most sense to me and for me. So don't be afraid to listen to your instincts.

Networks, web design, security, programming...there is so much to love. But if you can, try to concentrate on one thing and learn all you can about it. You can always branch out after that or in your spare time.

So ask youself that question and/or maybe take some classes in the three areas you mentioned -- see which one you do the best in.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Mathsgirl makes a really important point. I came into security following ten years working as a technology journalist. It took so long because I was basically quite lazy, I knew damn well that I wasn't doing what I wanted to do, and also knew that I really liked security management techniques....but didn't make the mental leap and say "hey if I actually worked at this and was prepared to start at the bottom I could do something really cool." NB I'm still not completely there I sit between a very cool job and a very dull job (as a web editor), but if you are lucky enough to be starting out, sit down, think about what you would do if you could do anything, or what area fires you up enough that you *have* to do something about it. It should be illuminating. Either way, don't be put off, it's a long hard road, but there's a lot of fun along the way.

Rachel
    668 - the neighbor of the beast

Re: Jobs

Originally posted here by SonicDragon
    What have you all done? Did you like it? Or did it just seem like long boring hours behind a computer? I'd love to hear your stories/ideas.

Thanks!!!!!
    ~SonicDragon

Well, personally, I've been into computing since I was around 6-7 years old. We had an old PC at my house - I can remember sitting at the keyboard for hours running this little demo on a big, old school floppy disk. That started my fascination with computers. I randomly worked on computers up until high school - high school is when I dove full force into the world of computing, trying to learn everything I could. Well, that hasn't really stopped to this day - I graduated college with an MIS degree and my job now involves many areas of computing - web design, security, hardware repair, planning, everyday tech support, programming, admin work - the works... I do it all, and I enjoy it.. It can get hectic at times, but in the end, it's worth it for sure.... The only drawback is that you can never give 100% of your time and attention to one particular area...

Study hard, and work in all areas until you find one that absolutely sticks out in your mind as something you'd like to do - then go for it.. Or, you could be like me and try to do it all... I don't know that I could pick one area that I like more than others as something to focus on, I love it all... And I learn something new everyday - which is great...

Those long hours spent in front of the computer are never boring in my opinion...
    - Maverick

Thanks for all your advice!

the_JinX, I write my own HTML and CSS.... but that might change if i could afford Dreamweaver lol. But, I definately think knowing HTML and other web code is really an important part. If you can't do it the real way, you don't really know what your doing

Thank you all again. I'm going to check out all my options. I have tons of computer books i can't wait to read! If only i could sit down and read all day for a month.... I have The Art of Deception, Leo Laporte's Almanac. Perl in 24 hours, and Sybex's Security Complete. I've been slowly collecting and reading when ever i can.

THANKS!
    ~SonicDragon
    http://sonicdragon.fateback.com
    Bringing a Little Fun to Tech!