Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AO on its way out?

It's a gas!

AO on its way out?

Just seen the message on main page, referring to AO's email accounts being closed on Feb 28th.
    Does anyone know why this is happening?

Could it be that AO is finally on its way out?

Anyone have any inside info?

Cheers

r3b00+

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Not quite. It probably means that the sale of AO is done.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi,

Mmm... i really don't know but i hope not. I don't think JP could close AO without telling us a word. It would be really unfair. I know, you will say that this is JP's site and he can do anything he wants..., but we have given our "2 cents" here and we deserve a little explanation if something is going on. I just can think he's waiting to the very last day to tell us. If he's going to close the site he should have told us already. That's what i would have done if i were him... but i ain't.

Just hope everything's OK.

Bye,

DKRR

I thought the email service was external and perhaps it was being discontinued for other reasons. I hope that AO keeps on going, I have many, many more things I'd like to learn from you guys!

R.
    668 - the neighbor of the beast

I hope JP doesnt close AO down, or that the people who own AO now, dont......I'd hate to see this sea of knowledge go to waste There is alot to learn here, and alot of nice people too.

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Growup, move on.. JP has a life, so be it..

Having said that..
    Why is it that if a service/feature is reduced or removed, then the site is closing??.. Things change, deal with it.

possable reason for change #1
    Not quite. It probably means that the sale of AO is done.
    possable reason for change #2
    I thought the email service was external and perhaps it was being discontinued for other reasons
    this is why we are here...
    There is alot to learn here, and alot of nice people too
    I notice many are ready to bag the site when there are problems, whinge about the Sysadmin.. but how many of the whiners ask what the problem was ??
    Or do we now worry more about our blips?
    Reason: I have four green blips!
    (not to pick on anyone)

5h1t.. did I say that
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I can understand everyone's fear...but we can't just sit and worry about what might happen. Lets just all pray that whoever has control now that AO will stay up, and we still will be able to share information. Or as said before, that someone will pickup where JP left off and start another AO type of place. But for now, there is nothing more we can do but keep posting and learning!
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

as far as i know:
    BigMailBox (the provider) have discontinued their service with very little warning, and as their site has now disappeared completely, it doesn't look like you'll be able to retrieve anything left in your accounts.
    so, it's the provider problem not AO.
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?

If this is truly the end (which I seriously doubt), everybody will have to find something else to do. Not that's a bad thing mind you....

Originally posted here by bimmer
    as far as i know:
    BigMailBox (the provider) have discontinued their service with very little warning, and as their site has now disappeared completely, it doesn't look like you'll be able to retrieve anything left in your accounts.
    so, it's the provider problem not AO.
    I'm still able to access the main page at www.bigmailbox.com ,however as I have not signed up for an account, I can't tell if it's possible to access them.
    Hopefully though, it will only be BigMailBox that discontinues, and not AO.
    Here's to bigger and better things under a possible new ownership
    I\'m drunk, and right now I\'m so in love with you.