Thread: AO mobile platform?

AO mobile platform?

I know the future of AO has yet to be announced, but I think I have a good idea.
    I did a search before posting this and didn't see that anyone had suggested it.

I sync my palm with a site called www.avantgo.com which will let you download web sites to your palm (and other platforms) for later reading. I have yet to find a better way of offline web page reading.

I was reading some news on my PDA this morning, and it dawned on me that the mobile platforms don't really have a "security" channel with the exception of www.hackinthebox.org .
    hackinthebox.org is more or less just news...

Anyways... my idea:

I think that it would be a good idea for both the users of this site and the site alone to add a PDA or mobile computing version of AO. Maybe it could just consist of tutorials and news letters. Some of the discussions would be useful, but most of the "good stuff" is in the tutorials and newsletters. It could be updated weekly or even monthly. Make it membership optional. It would be a good way to both advertise the site and to gain more users. Might be a good way to get others in the field interested in computer security and bring more content to the site.

We could have a moderator for the "AntiOffline" feature and maybe users could vote on which tutorials or news articles should be on the mobile platform.

What do the members of AO think of this?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

phish: once again you come up with an awesome idea. I am not sure how much work would be involved in coding a page for this to happen though. I know that the first month would keep the moderator busy though . I would definitely have my palm setup up within minutes of it going online. I only see one problem though....I would completely stop paying attention to my professors.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Interesting. It could be a way to keep the contact in some situations.
    The good points is that AO is essentially based on texts which is the most portable thing on PDAs or mobile phones. The bad point is the huge quantity of informations to provide through this medium. And, as it would probably be impossible to provide all, how to choose what will be provided.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

bad point is the huge quantity of informations to provide through this medium. And, as it would probably be impossible to provide all, how to choose what will be provided
    I thought of this before I posted it. Thats why I recommended just tutorials or the news letters. They don't have to be done all at once, but updated frequently. Say weekly or twice a month or so.

It'd be kind of pointless syncing the posts because you can't post anything from your mobile device unless you are wireless... even so, still a pain in the a$$ to type on the mobile devices.

Currently, I take the AO newsletters and run them through the Palm PDF converter and read them on the go. They are great for standing in line in stores, or the Dr.'s office, etc. and I even save a tree or two. <puts on tye died hippy shirt>
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Lol. I got a palm mainly so i can do what phish said and put all the texts i want to read on it. It is a good way to pass the time and im also learning something also. I actually dont have to go buy a new ink cartrige every other week or so.
    The only four things i need are food, water, a computer, and the internet.

er0k
    hehe good idea but you shoudlnt call it antioffline, as that is a whole different site that is dedicated to making this one look bad... btw is that guy still in jail?

hehe good idea but you shoudlnt call it antioffline, as that is a whole different site that is dedicated to making this one look bad... btw is that guy still in jail?
    Didn't realize that there was a site called antioffline... my bad.

Guess AO Mobile is good enough