Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Jupiter Media

RiOtEr,

Clicking "contact user about this assignment" you just send him/her an automatic message saying that you want him/her to contact you back telling you why he/she negged you..., but what i meant was that you can send him/her a message telling him/her what you like too. If giving you negative or positive APs he/she had the chance to write a message to you saying what he/she wanted about your post, then you should have the same chance to reply to him/her saying what you like too (always wihtout knowing who he/she is).

Bye,

DKRR

Edit: Yes, let's keep this thread for suggestions and not discussions about them.

cgkanchi and DKRR have both made points that I agree with 100%. AP system has WAY TOO MUCH leverage, and we should have the AO jobs thing. It all makes perfect sense to me.
    If at first you don\'t succeed, try again. Then give up. There is no sense in being ridiculous about things!

a new members perspective

First of all I have learned more here in a short time than any other single resource I have used over the last couple of years. I have a lot of stuff I have copied and pasted into a folder on my desktop as a reference simply because I don't have time to read everything and something like the file extension list(dark raider?) that was posted is a great resource.
    I typically scroll through the active topics and occasionally try and search other topics. I also enjoy the humor, cosmos and general chitchat as it is a welcome break from having to think and I remain on site-I am comfortable here.
    What would assist me???
    1. Threads that are marked according to their content-Something in forensics that is titled "check this out" isn't easily located if I neglect to mark it. And the sheer volume of info means that something that is not helpful to me today may be nxt week but I can't mark everything.
    2. As far as anti-points-let them go to a moderator to decide on the value of assigning them. This not only works with negs but false positives as well. Let apoints be earned or do away with them.
    3. If I ask a question that I researched first and couldn't resolve, in any topic, I recieve assistance in a minute or two. I come here to learn and if ever I can help another It's a done deal. I "hang out" here for too many hours a day and even when i don't have time i check the home page without logging in to see if there is any breaking news.
    If the basics remain the same the rest doesn't matter to me-good or bad
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    C'mon guys,

You have a constructive comment about the antipoints-system? Post it here. You want the news-feeds back? You have a suggestion to speed up AntiOnline? Post it here.
    by Negative.
    Let's keep this thread open for suggestions and constructive comment, so chill with those replys with : I'm right, no I'm , no.....

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

I agree that the AP system needs some serious work. I like the idea of human and point system. It would give the AP system more credibility. Also help prevent abuse. I also like the idea of being able to add a comment to the "contact user about this AP assignment" tab. I do think AP's must remain anonymous. I don't think getting rid of the AP's entirely is necessary, just the abuse.

I am also not particularily fond of the auto suicide function for threads. It is too easy for good threads to go suicide because of abuse of AP's. Now if abuse of the AP system gets worked out, auto suicide threads would work, but as it stands now, they don't work.

Generally overall I like what AO has to offer, and if the features that seem to have bugs in them get worked out, I would be happy. I am interested to see what new changes will be coming, and welcome them until I see otherwise.

I also think the AP's should not be able to be assigned in roll call. This has been brought up many times before and I think it is very valid. An introduction to the community should not be rated.

my .02 cents.
    Dream as if you are going to live forever, live as if you were going to die today.

Hrmm..

1. I think that the AP's system is fine, but could use a few improvements. Their will alway's be people who can abuse it and if you set rules, they can probably find a way around it. However (in reguards to AP's) you guys should really take yourselves off the Top Ten AP Earner list, it's not a biggie, but if you two guys are going to always be #1 and #2 then it kinda destroy's the purpose of the list. Otherwise, get rid of the list.

2. More Human Moderator's for forums. 'Nuff said there, although the selection of the Moderator's could either be a vote or your discretion. It's up to you guys, but I think we should have more Moderators. The General Chit Chat moderator ( Ennis I think) hasn't been posting since I've been here and I haven't seen him active. The MOST active moderator I've seen is Negative (mostly because he has the most active forums) but human moderators could definitely help the forums.

3. I know, I know, No IRC. However, like I said, IRC is why most members come to AO. If you lose those members, then you lose the interest in advertiser's, which can lose profit. Setting up a server somewhere else or using a member's server as the Official 'New AO Server' could be another solution to that.

4. Definitely more content, maybe some news and security news writers that could submit it each week/day/whatever. Definitely something to liven up the main section of the site. I can see quite a few Senior member's who aren't active because their is either nothing interesting to post to, or no new content really. I, myself almost started to not post for awhile, but keep coming back because I love this place

Those aren't that big of suggestion's, just my random thoughts and everything of way's to improve AO. Feel free to add to them or add a comment about them.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Thanks for those who are offering constructive comments.

No decisions about the AP system have been made -- as I've said several times already, we haven't even had a chance to see the code (which is not trivial).

We are listening; the goal is to make this a place where people get good security information. We are not going to censor anyone but we are going to ask people to make sure the focus stays on security. The worst thing that can happen to AO is that it loses its reputation for good security info. If the top threads on page 1 are never about security, that can send a bad message to people who were told to come here for security info but all they see is opinions about George Bush and Iraq. A number of people who I have talked to on the phone and by private messages have told me that the security discussion is the most important thing. Of course, you can have a good time while you're doing that. That's why it's a community and we want to encourage people to speak out.

For the next couple of weeks, I'm going to do a lot of listening to people. I'm not going to reac to every suggestion now because many people haven't had a chance to express themselves yet. So far, this is all very helpful. I can see people really care about this place.

- JupMan

Banned
    Greetings All:

The AntiPoints system may ban you, close your thread, or hide your posts, based on what a consensus of many members think. Keep in mind, the alternative to that, is having single individuals make those decisions by themselves (aka a moderator or two).

Most people, early on, made it very clear that freedom of speech was very important to them. I think those very same people might now be neglecting to take into consideration what having a single person, or a of couple of people, dictate what is / is not appropriate for you to say, instead of leaving that decision up to the consensus of the forums as a whole.

Many of you are concentrating on how "unfair" a single AntiPoint assignment can be. Remember, a single AntiPoint assignment can't do anything to you, or your thread. It takes many many assignments from many many different people to have a true effect on you. However, a single moderator certainly could have instant and unilateral effects on you.

Also, everyone agrees that these forums are VERY clean of spam and abusive threads, like you'll see plaguing other forums. Why do you think that is? It's because if one of these abusive users appear, the users of the forum have a collective power to instantly rid the forums of them. If you switch things over to human moderators, these people, and threads, remain until one of the human moderators happens to log on, whenever that may be. A user could literally and very easily spam the forums with dozens and dozens of posts before a human moderator would catch them.

In short, be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it, and I have a very strong feeling that once you do, you're not going to like it.......

Originally posted here by JupMan
    We are listening; the goal is to make this a place where people get good security information. We are not going to censor anyone but we are going to ask people to make sure the focus stays on security. The worst thing that can happen to AO is that it loses its reputation for good security info. If the top threads on page 1 are never about security, that can send a bad message to people who were told to come here for security info but all they see is opinions about George Bush and Iraq.
    I'm glad you think that way...
    Personnaly (and I know others feel that way too), this has been one of my gripes about AO...
    Others have said that without general chit chat, AO wouldn't be a community anymore. Perhaps; but I think just not having general chit chat and cosmos posts show up in the front page would be a good compromise...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

I dont know why everyone is so obsessed with the whole IRC thing, I guess its cause I havent hung out there much but if need be I know ppl have offered to host and that should be sufficient. just mho.

I think it would be nice to have a segment or link on the main page that would carry security related news. It seems too often that the front page is just loaded with information I can find by using news links. Which I am sure a majority of you check daily on your own anyway. I also think we have a lot of various talents in AO and it would be cool if the users would write more docs on how to use various programs. someone earlier mentioned a tut on snort. Thats a great idea!! Why not have some of the users that are big into programming upload some of the really cool utilities you use in your day to day life. I am sure many others here could find them very useful.

Just some ideas
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here