Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP! PLEASE!! How can I access a remote Win98 box?

do a search and get a copy of NetCat:

http://www.atstake.com/research/tool...ork_utilities/

run it like this:

echo GET/http1.0 \n\n |nc -v -n <ipaddress> 80

and try:

echo quit |nc -vv -n <ipaddress> 80,81,82,119,389,1002,1080,1720

you might get some usefull info on the ports

as you said a telnet server is not a stadard feature of a win (9x at least) machine but neither is a web server. software has been added to it that's keeping those ports open. first you have to find out what services are doing that. Is you can get a reply using NetCat (telnet is very awkard for this kind of thing) maybe we can figure a way to get a copy of NC running on the remote machine and give you a command prompt. if the machine has not been administered to in a while there might be some major holes.

if it transfers info over an isdn what is it doing being connected to the internet?

Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I know how to snow shoe. Seriously. I'd take some travel pay and drag an akio behind me to work on a 'puter in the middle of the wilderness some where. Sounds like fun to me.

I do wish you the best of luck though.

Hmmmm! An unmanned Windows 98 machine in an isolated location running as a remote data-collection station and you say you recently lost the dedicated data connection to it!

It seems odd that you have only recently lost the dedicated data connection to it, after all I would think that a Windows 98 machine even running some of the most mundane tasks would have crashed or come up with a BSOD (blue screen of death) within a few days.

Do yourself a favor when you travel out there to fix it, install a real OS like Linux that will offer you remote connectivity via SSH.

But then again, you said you where a Unix guy, so I bet this is already what you had in mind.

Penguin Power!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're darn tooting.. if I had my way, the whole *$#&@ing world would run on Linux. Unfortunately, I lost the election for Global Emporer to Bill... Anyway, Yeah, I know running this whole thing on Win ANYTHING is asking for trouble. Appreciate all the help folks... gonna make a case to the boss to junk the machine and put a nice Sun Sparc in it's place. Telnet, rlogin... does life get any better?

Ick! telnet, rlogin? Please! Go with ssh!

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

LOL.. SSH? That's for wimps. I still use Pine for email and write Perl scripts in VI!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Actually, SSH is good for wimps with security on the mind. And even I LOVE vi (and no, it's NOT pronounced VY) and I use SSH-2

Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by tirediron
    LOL.. SSH? That's for wimps. I still use Pine for email and write Perl scripts in VI!
    Huh? I don't get it? SSH is for wimps as opposed going arround with your pants down with rlogin and telnet?

"I still use Pine for email and write Perl scripts in VI!"
    Yeah, so? What does this have to do with SSH??? Do you even know what SSH is???

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Hey Ammo... I was joking. There's no need to get nasty about it. Yes, I am very well aware of SSH, the point of my comment there was simply to repond to your original comment saying "Ick! telnet, rlogin? Please! Go with ssh!" it was simply meant to say that I prefer the older tools such as telnet, rlogin and such (Because that's what I 'grew up' with. There's nothing wrong with SSH, and on many occasions, Open-SSH has proved a very useful tool to me. Most of the machines that I admin have almost no security on them, (not my choice) so rlogin is perfect! Simple, quick, and easy, so naturally it, or an equivilent was my first thought! If I offended you, sorry. Most of the Unix people that I know take a perverse pride in their knowledge of arcane commands and processes.

I LOVE vi (and no, it's NOT pronounced VY)
    I pronounce it VIle, and on some days eVIL!
    How about VIcious?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.