Thread: CD-W Tech Question

CD-W Tech Question

Hey guys , well this is what I got .... I have a Burner that is giveing me alot of problems . I am running Nero for my bruning softwear . OK When I try to burn something It will get through the first song then start working on the next song and the I get a "Buffer Underrun"
    error . I have removed the cd-w and reinstalled it .. But still comeing up with the same error .. Also i put the ram buffer settings like to 70mb . And still no good .... Please help i dont want to buy a new burner ! Whats crazy is that the cd drive still reads .....? I have tried almost everything besides trying differnt softwear . But I hear Nero was the best sooooo .... Please post

-Alpa

just a couple of things you could try, not necessarily in this order:

burn the cd's at a slower speed

use different cd media

make sure nero's buffer underrun protection is turned on. note your cd burning hardware must support this. i think sony call this technology JustLink(tm) and there is another name for it which i can't think of now.

depending on the specs of your machine, you may not want to be running anything else when burning a cd. ctrl+alt+del and kill processes that aren't needed. also turn off unnecessary services and Norton if you are running it 'cause it uses alot of resources (16MB+ depending on your version etc.)

you could try using different burning software, but i wouldn't say that is the problem, check and make sure nero support your specific cd burner. if you got nero with the burner chances are you are ok as far as compatibility is concerned.

if you try this and still have no luck, please post your relevant system and cdrw information, like how new it is etc.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Hey thanks for the post . Ok i have tryed slowing down the wright speed . I have a Teak CD-W 54E-A67 ...... I belive it came out of a HP . But its like been a ongoing problem . When I first got it it work fine . Then it started to have problems , i had to start puting the wright speed at the lowest level . It started this mess . but thankx for the post ..

-Alpa

good advice MAX..

Alpa I think the sugestion Max made was in relation to a Resource Hog that may be running in the background on your machine.. Now this may be a recent problem ie recently install prog.. REMEMBER.. just because it dosen't have a window open dosen't mean it isn't still running..

If you are running Win9x then ctl-alt-del won't show everything running.. the resource hog may be a Service.. these normaly won't show in the Task manager window (oops END TASK window)..

Rare but also worth considering is a Possable hardware problem.. ie new hardware..(also see above - drivers and manufacturers utilities - can and do cause problems)..
    A hardware problem on the IDE Buss, another CDROM, ZIP Drive, or other.. one of these could be slowing the data transfer rate..

I ahve had hardware incompatability problems occure months after installation.. not because it didn't exist.. but because the bloody fault decided not to show it's stinken head.. This isn't just in computers

You could also have a sick CD/RW... RIP

Certainly reconsider Max's Post with this info in mind

Cheers

"Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

As a rule I don't do any other tasks on my 'puter when I'm burning, I just leave it to get on with it. Also, if I'm burning music to play on a hi fi or something, I ALWAYS use an audio cd-r disk, never a standard data type disk.
    Flod!

Alpa,
    I had the same problem with my old burner. Check the Transfer Mode on your IDE controller, changing it worked for mine for a little bit. Than it decided to quit again and i just replaced it. Mine would burn CD-RW fine at the highest speed it had I think it was 8x but I got the buffer underrun when i tried to burn a CD-R at anything over 4x. Good luck

I had a problem with an old Sony Xpressa drive that if it started doing buffer underruns, the only thing you could do to fix it was run a defrag on the computer. Then everything would work. It was strangely wierd.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Hey guys thankx for all of the post ... Well I got some sleep got up and downloaded a new burning softwear for it ... Guess what .... it works now ... Its the crazest thing ... But I had to reload my comp and now i am geting scan disk errors on the start up ... But I am going to replace this old 8Gb to a 40 or a 80 ...... I like this site alot .. Thanks you guys yal have been very helpful ...................

-alpa

"make love not war"

Cheers Undertaker!

I had a problem with an old Sony Xpressa drive that if it started doing buffer underruns, the only thing you could do to fix it was run a defrag on the computer. Then everything would work. It was strangely wierd.
    another good point here. definately worth keeping in mind if you have a small hard disk, like 8Gb, and it is almost full. If you are doing a cd copy (or taking files from across a network), and it is not "on the fly" then the source disk is going to get copied to your hard disk before the burning process starts. if your hard disk if fragmented then this will slow the burning process as the data to be written is scattered through out the hardD.

when you burn normal files from your hdd onto a cd, i'm not sure if the cd burning software pools the files in a temp location. probably depends on the software and other factors etc.

and just to elaborate a smidge more on the systems resources factor,
    if you are burning audio, and you are burning mp3's, these are decompressed on the fly so this is going to use alot of processor time.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!