Thread: Help getting RH linux on wireless lan

Help getting RH linux on wireless lan

Ok. I am trying to get my friends computer to run on his wireless lan with the linux operating system. He was able to connect to it with windows xp but he put linux on and now cannot connect. Are there any places that can walk me through, or preferably, can you all help me with this. Thanks ahead of time.
    The only four things i need are food, water, a computer, and the internet.

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Here is a link with step by step instructions for setting up a wireless Linux LAN.

Not sure which RH your friend is using or which wireless gear he has but perhaps you'll find something you can use.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

What kind of wireless card do you have?

I've got this link(my favorite one), take a look first http://www.linux-wlan.org/ and have you checked your driver wireless card ? check out this link too http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/

I hope this helps

Cheerss
    Not an image or image does not exist!

He is running RH 8.0 and he has a Linksys wireless card. Ill take a look at those sites. Thanks.

Its a WMP11 - Instant Wireless PCI Card i think. Cant find the drivers for it though.

The linksys card based on the prism 3 chipset, which requires the "Next Generation" driver package (Next Generation driver package: ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng ) and you will need linux-wlan-ng-0.1.14 Driver package: ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-w...-0.1.14.tar.gz

Also You need to recompiling your kernel and in the case of PC Card (PCMCIA) wireless card you will definitely require the sources for the PCMCIA card service from PCMCIA from PCMCIA card services 3.1.33: http://pcmia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/...-3.1.33.tar.gz or check out might be RH 8 already have source code. Typed "make config" to configure your card service and preferably "make all" to recompile, followed by "make install" to perform the installation.

After compiling your kernel you can setup the "linux-wlan-ng" package using "make config". You can select drivers for the PCMIA Card Services,PCI adapter,PCI CArds, and USB adapter. And make sure you need to setup "WLAN_ENABLE is to set "yes" to allow the card to be set up.

Alright, thanks. I had to leave his house but ill try it next time im over. Again, thanks alot.

I need the main components of the receiver and transmitter of the wireless lan....

I have a graduation project about it

star_eng@hotmail.com

Originally posted here by Madseel
    He is running RH 8.0 and he has a Linksys wireless card. Ill take a look at those sites. Thanks.

Its a WMP11 - Instant Wireless PCI Card i think. Cant find the drivers for it though.
    The following URL gives another great example of configuring a wireless card on RedHat 8.0. They use the pre-installed GUI tools that ship with RedHat 8.0 ... so there's no crazy scripting or modprobe/insmod stuff going on here (ahh the good ol' days).

http://linux.oldcrank.com/tips/wpc11/

Also, I have this EXACT same setup (WMP11 on RH 8.0) on several boxes. I used the above link to get me started. If you still can't get it up and running, PM me and I'll assist.

Hope this helps.

-M