Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a hidden win xp admin account?

a hidden win xp admin account?

I was messing around with acccounts and decided to set up a fake administrator account. When i tried to create an account called administrator it told me it already existed .when i log in or look at accounts it doesn't show up ,all their is is my own admin account(I am the only user ,at least that i know of!) . So i got ms baseline security and it tells me that there is an account called administrator too (with a weak password) , I tried to look at shares and i got an error message . Is this something legit ? ,I figure something funny is going on by the way the account exists but doesnt show up anywhere (i went to the old style logon screen and tried to log on as "Administrator" using a blank password and it said " unable to log you on because of an account restriction " is there a way to get into this account without the password or at least get it to show its self ? any suggestions or help would me much appreciated .

try loging on in safe mode
    Life is like a **** sandwich,
    The more bread u have the less **** u have to eat

goto Control Panel/Admin tools and use computer management to access users...you'll see the admin account there, where you can rename it to help secure your computer. When XP is installed, the password is set up for that account, so you set it up if you installed XP yourself (not just a blank pwd).

You can also disable the account, or set up a new pwd from computer management. Right click on the account, and select the first option, 'Set Password', to change the pwd.

Also, if you were to boot into safe mode, that account would be a choice on the welcome screen
    I want you to know that our friendship means a lot to me. You cry...I cry. You laugh...I laugh. You jump out of a window...I look down...then I laugh again.

Antionline Herpetologist
    When you get the welcome screen, press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice. This should get you to a Windows 2000 style login prompt. You can now login as Administrator. The password is the the one you entered during setup for the Administrator account.
    Note: DO NOT RENAME THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT UNDER WINDOWS XP. This leaves you up a creek without a paddle if you need to access the recovery console. The only way around it is if you have a Win 2k boot/recovery CD. So, unless you have one, don't do it.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

I tried going admin tools->comp mange but all that is in the menu is sytem tools - storage -service and apps i looked in all the sub menus(and the file,view ... up top) and there is nothing to do with users at all ?, I didnt install windows so i have no clue what the Administrator password (I'll ask the person who did tomorow but i doubt he will remember and i kind of wonder if he did this as door for himself?) ,I tried all the obvious passwords already using the old style(win2000) start screen . Why do they hide this account ? shouldn't i be able to see it from user accounts? I am figuring i will drop my security , go to a buddies down load a cracker and try to crack the password is that my best option or can i run one on my own machine ?

Antionline Herpetologist
    You don't have to do that much. Try this: in the run box, type c:\windows\system32\compmgmt.msc . If that doesn't work, try c:\windows\system32\lusrmgr.msc . If that still doesn't work, then come back here and we'll try something else.
    PS: Are you using windows xp home edition?
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

yep i am running home edition , the first suggestion brought me to computer management but still nothing about accounts and the second doesnt work in the home edition according to the computer .

BTW - regarding Admin password..A lot of OEM Installed Xp systems (Home & Pro), that I have encountered have a blank password .. Secure?... Get a lot of machines in for service that the users have passworded accounts and forget to provide a password. locked out? .. well .. completly locked for less than 5%..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Bugs, for WinXP HE ... goto start> run> and type in control userpasswords2

click OK and this will bring up a dialogue box where you can reset all passwords or rename an account including the hidden admin account. As Cgkanchi said the hidden admin account is normally only used if you need to get to the recovery console so if you do password protect it... make sure you do not loose that password!

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

i just tried the userpasswords2 and it told me it doesn't exist ??, i just noticed too that in the task manager where it usually says the user name it is blank ?