Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming College Advice

can someone give me an advice (thanks)

hi everyone,
    I was wondering if I can get an advice here because i'm on my way to college on september and wanting to take programming course but i have to pick between 2 schools. I don't want to waste my money on a school that will not cover most programming lessons. Can some of you pick which schools offers a good programming courses between school 1 and school 2.
    thanks

-----School 1-----
    Web Fundamentals
    HTML, DHTML, CSS, Internet Basics
    CompTIA Network+
    2151-Microsoft Windows 2000 Network & Operating System Essentials
    2152-Implementing Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional & Server
    introduction to Programming with Java Script
    VB Script
    Active Server Pages 4 Weeks
    Visual Basic Programming
    Introduction to Visual Basic
    Mastering Visual Basic Development
    Visual Basic Project
    Enterprise Development for Distributed Applications
    Solutions Infrastruture
    E-Commerce Programming
    Object-Oriented Programming Systems using Java
    Introduction to C++
    Relational Database Fundamentals
    Administering a Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Database
    Programming a Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Database

--------School 2--------
    introductory to programming
    structured cobol 1
    systems analysis and design 1
    structured cobol 2
    c programming
    systems analysis and design 2
    database concepts with sql
    c++ programming
    operating system (unix/linux)
    java programming

I think you should pick school # 1 because it has a lot more catifories and also everything that you didn't finish like that c++ introduction you could finish that kinda stuff off easy. But also my opinion doesn't matter do what you want to do.

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Smiley, those are two very different schools/programs. I would pick school #2. However, if you are looking for "advice" and not an "opinion" tell us a little about what you are envisioning doing when you finish school.

And Banananuts......you are driving ME banananuts! Keep going....you'll be a junior member before the night is over!

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

i was looking for opinion sorry. Well, i wanted to learn some programming but don't know how many language is out there. I had to pick between those 2 schools and i wanna go for the one that will cover most useful stuff because i don't wanna waste my money. Both those school will cost more than 5,000$. That's why i'm asking which school you think offers good.

i don't know how to tell you this, but you shouldn't judge a school by its introductory programming classes. i may be off base here but school 1 sounds like a trade school and school 2 sounds more like a 4-year university or community college. of course it's hard to tell but the course titles lead me to that conclusion.

some of us here are college graduates and we would gladly give you advice but you've got to be more specific about what your options are and what you want. the only thing i can tell you up front is don't take any classes in Cobol unless you have a burning desire to work on legacy systems for some reason. Cobol is a dinosaur. what are the names of the schools?

if i were you .. i will think for many times before pick one of that options. but you should know there are so many language programming in this world. it depends with your interests mate. if you interest in web or database or networking ( Visual Basic includes on #1 ) perhaps you may pick #1.
    But if you more interest in just programming and want to be a programmer , perhaps you may choose #2. ( more than 1 programmingf at #2 ).
    i understand it is difficult and i hope you can think what will you choose.

When I lay me down to sleep, Pray the LORD my soul to keep.
    If I die before i wake, Pray the LORD my soul to take.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=389

I would also have to go with school #1 aswell.Because it covers alot more stuff and looks alot more informationative hope you learn something from your course and you dont come away with an emety pocket .Why are you going on 1 of these courses?,are you planning a career in computing?.

-Dominaterx

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Well...school #1 is definitely geared towards web technology. School #2 is more of a "programming" track. In my opinion, even though I personally, would pick school #2 over web development, I think school #1 offers more training for that particular field than does school #2. Good luck in whichever program you choose.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Why are you going on 1 of these courses?,are you planning a career in computing?.

yes, i want a career in computing and hopefully code a software or application. I'm confuse on which school i'm going because i don't want my money to go in waste.

school 1 = www.trios.com
    school 2 = www.centennialcollege.ca

if you are planning career .. pick the #1..
    you will learn :
    1. database ( sql -server )
    2. web
    3. programming ( VB and C++)
    4. networking

so go to the #1..

When I lay me down to sleep, Pray the LORD my soul to keep.
    If I die before i wake, Pray the LORD my soul to take.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=389