Thread: Red hat problems and question

Red hat problems and question

Ok. I have two things i need help with.
    1. I changed my display settings so i could view more in my screen, and it worked for while till i rebooted. Now when i boot up red hat, when it gets to the point where i should log in, my monitor says that there is no input device. How could i get it back so i can log in and do stuff?
    2. I updated red hat. My computer is set to duel boot. Now after i reboot my computer i have the option to boot up into windows and the old and also the updated linux. How can i remove the old boot up so i get the windows and the updated linux boots only?
    Thanks ahead of time.
    The only four things i need are food, water, a computer, and the internet.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Well if the monitor says there is no input device I'd check to see if the cable is connected. That doesn't sound like a RH issue.

As for the other, that would require altering either the grub.conf or lilo.conf and removing the necessary lines. If you post them here I can point them out but they should be self-evident as having the old ones.

Edited Oh.. I forgot to ask this: what version of Redhat are you using?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Ok first things first. boot then go to a virtual terminal and login to the command prompt and use XConfigurator if it is an older version of redhat, or redhat-config-xfree86 if it is 8.0 or whatever the tool is in redhat to configure x windows. My guess that that your sync isn't set correctly, but anyway that is how you fix the first problem.

The second problem (assuming you are using grub to boot) you go to /boot/grub and edit grub.conf and remove the section you don't want listed. If you are using lilo i believe it is /boot/lilo.conf

Make sure you make a backup of either lilo.conf or grub.conf before you edit them. That could be a disaster if you mess it up.

Hope it helps.
    dAggressor

It\'s a long life, until you die

Alright, thanks. How do i get to the virtual terminal? Do i use a boot disk or is there a command?

MsMittens, ill post them as soon as i can get into RH again.

This will help if you are using LILO:
    go to /etc/lilo.conf open it on a text editor:

label=linux ///remove any that you don't want
    label=windows
    default=linux //boots if no option is selected

save lilo.conf

To check your changes without rebooting go to a terminal, /sbin and type $lilo you should get a message about any added or deleted entries for lilo.

Great news. I got the display to work. Its so great. It sucked though cuz i had to edit everything without a freaking monitor to see what i was doing. But hey, it works again. And thanks for your help guys.

Glad to see you got it working. For future reference, since obviously you don't need it now, you get to a virtual terminal by pressing ctrl-alt-F1 or F2 or F3 and back to gui with F4
    dAggressor

You'll also want to go edit /etc/inittab and where it says:

id:5:initdefault:

change it to

id:3:initdefault:

This will make RedHat boot into terminal mode without starting X. That way, if you have any display problems in the future, you'll still be able to easily log in and fix whatever went wrong.

If you want to start up X when in this mode (init 3), just log in as a user and type:

startx

First an update to my previous post. Ctrl-Alt-F4 is NOT the GUI, the GUI is Ctrl-Alt-F7

With that being said, you do not need to boot into run level 3 if you plan on always using X-windows. If you have xfree86 problems you can just use the virtual terminals as I stated. But if GUI is your flavor then you edit inittab to change the run level.

My 2 cents.
    dAggressor