Thread: Boot probs after RH 8.0 crash

Post Boot probs after RH 8.0 crash

Hi all,

This afternoon, my other box, onto which I have installed RH 8.0 for the first time two days ago, crashed for the first time. I rebooted, heard the IDE drives being addressed, then nothing, while the screen stayed blank. No POST msgs, no beeps.
    I turned it off, waited a few secs, then turned it on again. Nothing.
    I turned it off and on again, and i had a startup screen again.
    Two hours later the same thing. But this time the machine stayed like this.

I've checked the hardware etc, but the od thing is, i do not hear error beeps, and i do hear the IDE scan performing. Why is there no image? Why after a RH 8.0 Gnome crash?

I hope to get some useful answers,

Tx.

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Sparkant, landgenoot,

Seems to be a bootloader prob to me, but I could be wrong....
    If you've made that bootloader-rescue disk at the install, this could be a good time to use it.

Btw Do you get it to the prompt ?

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Question

If this was was a bootlooader prob, why is my crt whole the time during POST completely blank?

I'm not sure, but I'd think the two are not related to each other? I though the bootloader was accessed after POST?

Grtz.

AntiOnline Newbie

Re: Boot probs after RH 8.0 crash

Originally posted here by sparkant
    ...my other box, onto which I have installed RH 8.0 for the first time two days ago, crashed for the first time. I rebooted, heard the IDE drives being addressed, then nothing, while the screen stayed blank. No POST msgs, no beeps.
    1. Did system run alright prior to crash? You reference the install x2 days... Just wondering if system functioned and for how long prior to crash.

2. In my experiences, no post/no activity would make me suspect the power supply initially. I would tear the box down to to nothing and rebuild sequentially to isolate hw problems.

For me, it's closed.

With a little help from #greetings, the IRC channel, and especially from Anti-Hero, i managed to find the cause. As AH suggested, i try-ied to re-seat the ram module. It worked. As I looked further, there was an IDE cable which migth have hit the ram module, making the system HALT.

W/o reseating the ram module, I could reboot until I had artritis, the system would HALT.

Tx you all!