Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: who hates the new fascist mangament?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    For those wondering the post removed contained the following ditty: http://www.bfnation.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7597

Rather than assume they did it for censorship has it occurred to anyone that perhaps the post was removed due to the fact that this is probably spam and/or a copyright issue?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

For those wondering the post removed contained the following ditty: http://www.bfnation.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7597

Rather than assume they did it for censorship has it occurred to anyone that perhaps the post was removed due to the fact that this is probably spam and/or a copyright issue?

Maybe I don't understand, but a copyright issue? I don't see how a post like that could attract attention as far as copyright is concerned. And how could it qualify as spam? At best it's merely a joke post. It's not selling a product, or for that matter doing anything that one would normally associate with spam.

While the content of the post is pretty stupid, that doesn't necessarily mean it should have been deleted. Moderating should be limited to outright spam, or vulgar/racist/bigoted content and the like. If someone wants to post something like this, it shouldn't be deleted. Again, JMHO

<edit>

This is exactly how the rootkit works that I discussed in the original thread I started on this subject (before the link to the actual source code and binaries was stripped out by a moderator). It hooks port 80 on any W32 machine running IIS 4 or 5 and waits for packets from the client - nasty business.
    This is far more worrisome than a joke post being deleted. Source code which proves a concept relating to security is vitally important and links to such content should not be removed. Maybe this is a result of having moderators who aren't overly knowledgeable about computer security?

Hopefully the new management will realise that people don't like what's been happening.

Banned
    wheres celfie im sure he would love this disscustion
    cencorship on the internet /me scoffs
    if it wasnt for the internet 90% of geeks would never see a womens **** or know that they actually exist look at bash.org for prime examples i my self have not been out side scince the great depression

the thread makes sense alot of it is historicly correct so why the deletion....

just a point of interest both france and germany have helped iraq at some point i think france gave iraq a few of its mass destruction launchers and a high grade nuclear reactor
    and germany gave it plans or mabey even the weapons ie nukes
    just a point i found on my random crawls through the web while getting drunk

back to my point down with cencership however i dont think attacking the new owners is a good idea
    as they are the ones with the big red banning buttons
    thanks for listening
    rioter

Originally posted here by KorpDeath
    I love how selective the new mgmt. seems to be in censoring the content of this site. Hatred of America is okee dokee by their standards but make so much as an observation about history and you'll face censorship. So much for building a trusting relationship with the senior members.
    I was the Moderator who deleted the thread and I wasn't being "selective" when I deleted it. If my action seemed selective it is only because I obviously can't read all the posts. I deleted that particular thread when I came across it because of its offensive anti-German content and I would have done the same if it were anti-American, anti-French or Anti-Fill-In-The-Nationality.
    - Runner -

Now I could be mistaken.. but if I remember correctly the idea of APs is so that this board can be self-moderated. Up until this point I was pretty sure that we had done a pretty decent job of moderating ourselves and eliminating what doesn't belong.

What I basically just got out of your post StreetRunner is that the reason for the APs is now being shot out the window... that you are now going to moderate our content as you see fit instead of the board being self-moderate... That means a pretty big change... I have no problem with the new management, if stuff stays the same way.. but if you are going to make a change such as Moderating the boards instead of allowing them to be self-moderated, I do believe you should tell us upfront about it.

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Hmm...I agree with HTRegz in that an up front explanation of the new "moderating" practices(maybe make it a sticky or something) would be nice. This board usually does a pretty good job of moderating itself. However, I think (and I could be wrong) that this sudden "censorship" is making us (well me, anyway) feel like a bunch a little kids being told what we can and cannot say. Freedom of speech is a pretty big deal. Most of the people here know how to handle being "offended". If you could be straight with us then at least we would know where we stand.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

lol, i wear negs from cowards like this as a badge of honor. some people just don't like people speaking their minds. it frightens them.

keep them coming, nameless wimps. why take someone on head-on when you can back-door them?

er0k
    blah who cares you all choose to come here. you cant bitch at who paid money for this, to not agree with everything you say.

Move the non-security forums off the main page

I think the management should heed the advice than NUMEROUS members suggested... leave some unmoderated forums, but take them off the home page. Put the potentially offensive topics elsewhere on the site with a disclaimer "this is not the opinion of the mangement yadda yadda." Then you can CENSOR THE SECURITY FORUMS ONLY.

I'm suprised the non-security forums haven't been taken off the main page already, considering there were so many people that supported that idea and the anticipated effect that it would create... a more security focused look and feel.
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

Originally posted here by mathgirl32
    Hmm...I agree with HTRegz in that an up front explanation of the new "moderating" practices(maybe make it a sticky or something) would be nice.... If you could be straight with us then at least we would know where we stand.
    I will ask the new owners to post an explanation but it may be a while because things are still being worked out. I assume that eventially this site will have an Acceptable Use Policy similar to other Jupitermedia sites and that that AUP will contain the following:
    You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harrass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content.
    As for being straight with you, I always try to do that. On other forums that have a "Recycle Bin" I have "undeleted" posts after reasonable objections were posted, but this site does not have that feature yet. I will work with anyone who responds to any of my actions in a reasonable fashion or who posts reasonable objections.
    - Runner -