Thread: receiving mail

Red face receiving mail

i know it is possible to develop programs which will let u send mail to any mail address
    this type of application can easily be created in vc++.
    is it not possible for me to create an application which will receive mail's,without needing to
    go to anywebsite.

what i mean to say is suppose my IP is xyz then anyone willing to mail me will be able to mail
    me at ajit@xyz.com?

SORRY THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE AJIT@XYZ

Re: receiving mail

is it not possible for me to create an application which will receive mail's,without needing to go to anywebsite.
    I'm still not entirely sure of what you want to do. It sounds like you are looking for a way to recieve emails from your web based email acount without haveing to go to the site and log in. Perhaps you are wanting to write a application that will do this for you? Is this corect?

email works on mail servers. A mail server set up on a computer sits there waiting for someone to login and send or recieve email. The server is responsible for sending and recieveing email to the apropriate recipitants.

A email client such as outlook express is a application that is responsible for comunicating with the mail server, logging you in and retrieving your emails from the server.

Useing outlook express and possibly other email clients it is possible to set up so that you can recieve emails from your web based email acount.

How to configure Outlook Express to use a Hotmail account

To set up your Yahoo account in Outlook 2002 with Internet Mail Only (IMO) mode

To make your own mail client or mail server you need to have a understanding of socket programming, basic TCP/IP, SMTP and POP

Windows Sockets: A Quick and Dirty Primer

Once you grasp those topics, you can use any language you want to create your mail application, whether it be a mail client, or a mail server. Keep in mind that there are standards for each of these protocols defined by RFC'c

RFC 1939 - Post Office Protocol

SMTP - Simple Mail Transfer Protocol

SMTP Extensions (ESMTP)

sounds to me like you want to run a mail server on your own computer and have mail go to you without an domain name, just ip address. sounds possible if you have a static ip address on the computer that the mail server is running on (or the computer with the internet connection if you're going to have port forwarding). i think it is possible.

what operating system are you running?
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

ajit: I might be going offtopic, as I don't really know what you are looking for...

sounds to me like you want to run a mail server on your own computer and have mail go to you without an domain name, just ip address. sounds possible if you have a static ip address on the computer that the mail server is running on (or the computer with the internet connection if you're going to have port forwarding). i think it is possible.
    And if they don't have a static ip address... they can use a dynamic dns service.
    There are several out there free of charge for basic service.

check out

www.dyndns.org
    www.dynu.com

They have clients that will run on both m$ and *nix OSs.

Then just setup your router to forward incoming mail on port 110 to your mail servers ip address. Make sure that you open up outgoing smtp port 25 too.

You can use these services to locate your network if you are a broadband user with dynamicly assigned ip addresses. The service will update your ip address with the domain name of your choice.

This is also a good way to run servers on your network if your ISP has given you a private non routeable ip address. They have to be using 1-1 NAT I think for it to work? We have had sucess with this working in some cases depending on your ISPs address assignment scheme.

thanks everyone for ur reply's but what i wanna do is to create a program in vc++
    which would be able to receive mail on my computer if some yahoo or aol user typed
    ajit@myipadd in address bar .

i have created a application to any one like xyz@yahoo.com ,but dunno anything about
    receiving mail's on my IP'S .
    and tat without any POP OR OUTLOOK HELP !!!!!

To answer your question yes a mail server will answer to your IP address. So username@192.168.1.1 will work (with a routable IP address of course). The problem is whether or not you have a static or dynamic IP address through your ISP. If it is static this is no problem, however, if it is dynamic you need a way to put up your IP address so others will know it. It is better to just use a dynamic dns for this, some were listed above but another that I use is www.dns2go.com (didn't see it listed above).

Anyway, the short answer is Yes. The long answer requires more information from you but the above should give you an idea.
    dAggressor

It\'s a long life, until you die