Thread: Is there a way to block emails

Is there a way to block emails

Ive the administrator for a webpage and I have a special email just for that. I use outlook express. People with different names are emailing me with 2 files attached. Usually the subject says "this is a good tool, i hope you like it" but sometimes it says nothing. It's always from differnt emails to. I usually just delete them but Im really getting sick of it. The other admins are getting them to. Some are gettting 20-30 a day. Is there anything we can do?

Is there a way to block emails

Ive the administrator for a webpage and I have a special email just for that. I use outlook express. People with different names are emailing me with 2 files attached. Usually the subject says "this is a good tool, i hope you like it" but sometimes it says nothing. It's always from differnt emails to. I usually just delete them but Im really getting sick of it. The other admins are getting them to. Some are gettting 20-30 a day. Is there anything we can do?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Try blocking by IP address. I've noticed that I've been getting virus emails that highlight the same issue: different email address, but same IP. You also might want to put filters in based on topic, attachment names (pdf.pif), etc.

One other thing you can do -- although it requires a fair amount of persistence -- is to send an email(s) to the ISP that hosts the offender.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Try blocking by IP address. I've noticed that I've been getting virus emails that highlight the same issue: different email address, but same IP. You also might want to put filters in based on topic, attachment names (pdf.pif), etc.

One other thing you can do -- although it requires a fair amount of persistence -- is to send an email(s) to the ISP that hosts the offender.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Yeah, you could try a access list, or do you have a "block" option in your email account.
    =

Yeah, you could try a access list, or do you have a "block" option in your email account.
    =

You say your the Admin for a webpage. So I take it you are not the admin for the email server then? If you are the email admin then check out this search from Google. It has a lot of Email abuse resources. If you are not the email admin. you might want to call your administrator and ask if he has filter for abuse emails and if it is up to date. Other than that get creative with the Outlook rules and let Outlook do the filtering for you. You could always change the email address and update the users that that email address is no longer valid. Don't you hate reading sentences with two that's back to back......

You say your the Admin for a webpage. So I take it you are not the admin for the email server then? If you are the email admin then check out this search from Google. It has a lot of Email abuse resources. If you are not the email admin. you might want to call your administrator and ask if he has filter for abuse emails and if it is up to date. Other than that get creative with the Outlook rules and let Outlook do the filtering for you. You could always change the email address and update the users that that email address is no longer valid. Don't you hate reading sentences with two that's back to back......