Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Folding@Home

The Folding@Home Team site (Team AO) will be taken off-line the 1st of may 2003. Explanation can be found here, for a limited time .

There has been a few discussions about to move the site to public servers and that I should continue as site administrator. Unfortunately is my time limited (even for a site as easy to administer as Team AO is today) and I have to discontinue my work.

If someone is interested to take over the site please PM me or send a email to webmaster@kongo.ath.cx.

~micael

I think this is cool... Having thousands of people help on a project like this I downloaded the program, and am running it on my moms puter, and as soon as mine gets back from repairs, ill run it on mine... Mine is on all day, and pretty much all night... The only time i shut mine off is if it starts to slow down, and heat up...

Has anyone set up a site for Team AO yet? If not then would teamao.krynet.com be of any use, because I can apply some of the space/bandwidth from my reseller account to that?
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

I did sign up but I did see this in this thread

The Folding@Home Team site (Team AO) will be taken off-line the 1st of may 2003.

There has been a few discussions about to move the site to public servers and that I should continue as site administrator. Unfortunately is my time limited (even for a site as easy to administer as Team AO is today) and I have to discontinue my work.

If someone is interested to take over the site please PM me or send a email to webmaster@kongo.ath.cx.

~micael
    I don't think anyone else is still folding for team A.O

I think the top 4, including myself still fold. I don't know what is still folding at my offices...but there are some random machines out there of mine still folding.
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I still do also, but not on the AO team ever since AO got bought by Jupiter. Actually, I did have 1 machine that was still doing AO stuff and din't realize it until recently, but that one has been switched also now.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

I had a few random machines folding for me a while back. I guess they've all stopped now. Well, basically after Jupiter came in there was some discussion as to weither or not they would support to our TeamAO F@H project to make the Top 100 by the end of this year, but if I remember right they said no.

If you search some of my older posts you might come across some threads on our working towards the Top 100. One of them was a graph on where we were compared to the top 100 teams. The graph became a pain the maintain so I quit it. I think many people quit folding, switched, or slowed down since we're now in 195th, while at one time we were somewhere around 160-170.

As to me folding again... I don't have the resources to help very much anymore. Since my moving around Japan and the USA, I'm not planning on doing much folding any time soon. At least not for Team AO...

-Tim_axe

In that case then I won't bother downloading the program I will find another site that will be better
    That which is eternal cannot die.

The end of the year...

As it nears the year 2004, I thought I would post once more in this thread to promote Folding@Home, and quite possibly Distributed Computing, as a whole. After these first two links to two of the projects that AntiOnline was at one point involved in, I will link you to an awesome flash video promoting Folding@Home. Now that I have your attention, read below.

DC Projects that AntiOnline was at one point in time or another involved in:
    Stanford's AntiOnline Folding@Home Stats (These guys run the Folding@Home project as a whole)
    AntiOnline's Team for Seti@Home Stats

You might wonder what these projects are about. First of all, here is that flash video for Folding@Home I promised. It was made by a member of team #93, Team Short-Media. Basically, Folding@Home is a distributed computing project that was designed to study why/how protiens fold, and at times fold wrong. Bringing you back into what you learned in Biology, all of the cells in your body are made up of protiens. When they don't work right, problems happen, such as many various diseases, including mad-cow and Altzheimer's. Why did stanford choose distributed computing over a giant super computer you may ask? Because using the idle power of your own home PC adds up, and can be more powerful than even the fastest Earth Simulator. There are also cryptography challenges to decrypt stuff and some people use distributed computing to set records or crack some encryption or another. Instead of playing with huge prime numbers, Folding@Home produces results that benefit humanity as a whole. Since Stanford is a college, what they discover can't be made propietary; if they discover a cure to a major disease they won't be the M$ of medicine, since everyone benefits much like OpenSource.

As for Seti@Home...heh, I'm biased towards Folding@Home myself. I'm not quite as interested in having my computer analyze radio signals from outerspace to look for extraterrestrial life/intellegence. Sadly, our team seems to have pretty much stopped Seti@Home somewhere in November of 2003...

As for what has happened to our team over the past 6 or so months...
    1) We wanted to be in the top 100 teams by the end of 2003... Around here this becomes a sticky.
    2) Michael set up an AO F@H website (which is down now)
    3) We recruited, and got into 160~ish place
    4) AntiOnline was bought by Jupiter Media
    5) Some members quit Folding
    6) Michael decided his personal managing of a web server wasn't warrented; website dissapears
    7) More members quit and slowed production, and I retired 4 or 5 Intel Celeron 2.2GHz? machines from Folding...
    Today, the last day of 2003) We are in 199th place (excluding Google & Anynomous)

Although Jupiter Media isn't really supporting the AntiOnline folding@home team, we still have one. It can be considered 'unofficial' or whatever you like, just know that we have one. There are also other teams that compete in Folding@Home. I myself have moved on and continue to fold, since I want my Idle CPU time to be spent doing something useful. Hopefully that flash video won you over, and you put your computer to use folding.

Download Folding@Home - http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg.../download.html

edit: I wasn't expecting this to bump onto the main page but it did...If that site can handle some of the other teams linking to that video, they can sure handle all of us at AO...

I'm folding at the moment, but I've never really got into joining teams or anything like that. I used to fold purely using the console version, as and when I remembered to start it up. Problem was that it always seemed to take longer to gain results with F@H than any other distributed computing project (and I've tried a lot of them).

Like a lot of things, people lose interest in projects/teams, sites close down and no-one can be bothered any more. I offered to host the site if someone else wanted to work on it (I wouldn't mind the odd bit of admin, but I've got enough sites to manage at the moment) when Micael decided to drop the site, but I didn't really get any takers.

Nice flash movie though.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.