Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton Corporate V.S. Personal Editions?

Norton Corporate V.S. Personal Editions?

Have a question. I scanned a backup the other day with Norton Antivirus Corporate (v8)yesterday and did not find any viruses in the files that I scanned. I transferred the backup to my local machine and scanned it with Norton Antivirus 2003 Personal Edition and it found several files that were infected with the Klez virus. Has anyone else had this problem? Both sets of Antivirus had the latest definitions installed. The Norton Corporate machine is a Win2k Server and my local machine in Win2k Pro.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Yeah I've noticed stuff like that too. Here at work they have Corp edition on Win2k Pro, it never seems to find any viruses (we've been hit here a ton of times). The admins don't have it setup to update itself, but I make sure to update it about every 3 days, if not more in threatening times. I'm always getting viruses, which the computer has to have on the system for about a week before it will tell me it's infected. Example of that was I had a virus that masked itself as a system process running as svchost.exe. But it kept giving me the "this program has preformed an illegal operation and must be closed" about once a day. This happened for a week and a half. I joked with my boss that it was a virus. Monday I came in and turned the computer on and Windows said that "svchost.exe" was a virus but could not be deleted because it was a system process. I laughed so hard, that's just the most recent type of probelm I've had. And the real funny thing is the only thing I really do here at work is chat on AIM, sometimes remote desktop home, and surf the web. I don't really file transfer with anyone or do anyhting outside of my job of scanning images and building my Oracle database.

At home I have WinXP with 2003, haven't had any problems with viruses. Plain and simple like.
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

that is very strange.

We run Symantec antivirus corp ed for 200 ish clients, and have never had a problem with it. We easily survived all the major outbreaks recently, mostly because of av scanning and denying certain attachments on inbound mail, but still Symantec Corp ed has been working great.

I agree with you. I have had only a few minor problems with Norton Antivirus Corp (installation issues) but never anything with the scanning of viruses.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

we have norton for exchange and have not (to date) had a virus reach a mail box. i have it set to up-date sigs nightly
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Got me, though I woudln't be surprised if our network might just be compromised in general. I work at a big university, and everything is connected. It seems like certain area's of the network are secure, but others seem to be wide open. Who knows, nothing works perfectly right? Maybe CXGJarrod and myself are just that .001% that is getting a problem with Symantec's software <g> heheh
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Well anyway, I emailed Symantec and I will let you know of thier responce.

I've heard that in NAV2003 Pro/Home they programmed the software to prevent infection from new worms and virus', especially ones with anti-antivirus code, i.e. KLEZ. I searched the net and couldn't find a comprehensive listing of the features included in the corporate and regular versions to compare. Please do keep us posted on Symantec's response.

-neta1o-
    ][ neta1o ][

As usual with big companies, I have been doing the runaround with their support boards and tech support people on the phone. No resolution of the problem yet.

Yea I came across a Norton Corporate disk and had it installed on my computer for a while. The whole time never got a virus (or so I thought). I decided i didnt like it becasuse I couldnt scan my incomming emails for viruses as I dont have an exchange server. I needed to reformat anyways so I reformatted put winxp back on and this time norton 2003. First scan of my hard drive and zip drive norton 2003 found viruses on zip that corp didnt.

Now I use avenger though and all seems good
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!