Thread: Mac Hard Disk Recovery

Mac Hard Disk Recovery

I have just removed a hard disk from an old apple mac machine. Is it possible to move this hard disk into a pc and recover any file in it with third party software?
    smilies are ON

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    How old is the mac? Most of the older Macs use SCSI and AFAIK there is no windows software that will recover MacFS drives.

There are lots of mac recovery tools however. If you are able to hook up another mac drive you should be able to use one of those tools to recover.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

thanks for your speedy response.

My girlfriend bought it in 1999, it came with Mac OS 8.5 installed. The hard drive make is Quantum Fireball 3.5 Series 4.0GB.
    smilies are ON

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Normally I'd say that's a SCSI but you'll need to tell me which mac it is. During the mid-90s, Apple released a whole whack of Macs plus there was the clones that came out. I think it might be a Mac 6500, which was one of the first to use IDE -- so it may be an IDE.

That said, I still don't know of any software that supports mac data recovery on windows. But if it is a 6500 it means you could get a similar drive and do a re-install and recover option.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

No idea what version it's but i can tell you that it says IDE0 HARD DISK on the motherboard where the cables from the hard disk are connected.
    smilies are ON

If the mother board says "IDE" then you can be shure about it. else it coud say "scsci"

Well, I have moved the hard disk to my pc and downloaded TransMac to open the hard disk. I can read the HD content and navigate its folders.

The problem is that when i open the macintosh HD i get this warning: Writing to Mac Extended [HFS] volumes is not yet supported and when i try to copy folders or delete content, i get the following warning: The shareware version of TransMac can not copy or delete folders.

The software costs $64.00 and the data i want to recover is not worth $64.00 and there is a 50 million to 1 chances to ever use this software again.

Is there any other software out there that can do the job cheaper or free?
    smilies are ON

Re:

Yeah!!!!! you can use a third party software Stellar Phoenix Mac Data recovery software which is a non-destructive and Compatible with HFS, HFS+, HFSX, HFS Wrapper and FAT file system volumes.The application ensures safe recovery of data without modifying the formally saved data on your hard drive..But the software is not a freeware you have to pay $99 to get an absolute recovery...Gud Luck