Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: New Logo LAME

GreekGoddess
    Under the main category at http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/ download both of them. You're going to need the GTK + runtime libraries and also The Gimp and all standard plug-ins.

So use these links:
    Download 1 - GTK + runtime libraries
    ftp://ftp.flamingtext.com/pub/gimp/w...0115-setup.zip
    Install those according to the directions

Download 2 - The Gimp/Standard Plugins/Windows Installer
    ftp://ftp.flamingtext.com/pub/gimp/w...19-setup-1.zip
    Follow the directions and you should have it up and running.

Now, the current Win32 version is gif save disabled, so to be able to save gifs, you're going to have to download an additional package:
    ftp://ftp.arnes.si/software/gimp-win...-lzw-setup.zip

An update to the installer including the fix for the wrong libjpeg.dll that was included with the first Gimp 1.2.4-20030119 installer. You must have Gimp already installed for this to work.
    http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/...gfix-setup.exe

Make sure before doing any of this to have removed any other copies of Gimp from your computer, you'd probably just be best to start over.

GreekGoddess
    As for something such as the logo contest, maybe we could get some feedback from the owners of what they're planning to do with the site as far as a layout, because I think people would have a better idea in planning their logo submissions. Is everything going to stay the same as far as where things are placed in the layout? Just color changes? I see the blue, the black and the white that you are using, any other main colors besides those? And finally (and this is just my opinion) I think it looks cheesy when you have a 3D logo and nothing in the layout is 3D, it just looks out of place and wrong. Will there be beveling, such as how the buttons are now? Or will you be going for a flattened look?

I apologize for all the questions... I think the submissions would be more worthwhile knowing these things.

er0k
    yeah fellas

string logo;

while(logo!="Old one")

{

cout << "Please refrain from the uber lameness" << endl;

}

I know it is pointless, but the recurent yellow color in the AO interface is good for my moral. And I hope I'm not alone to think that a black and blue color scheme would be more serious but less enthusiastic for regular users.
    Yes, I definitely think that the problem is not related to the logo itself but to its colors. Too professional and...sterile.

KC
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

GreekGoddess
    However, maybe with a more professional look, the content on this site will be taken more seriously? Every little bit helps.

hey all

just select the logo with your mouse, and you'll see a purple covering on it.
    The way that windows shows how something is selected.
    The purple covering on it looks good.
    To me.
    \"I have a 386 Pentium.\"

Originally posted here by GreekGoddess
    Also, I was bored and decided to contribute a logo. I do not own the photograph in the logo, therefore, it cannot be used. (Was pulled up on Google through their image directory). I'm sure a company like JUPM has a nice stock photography account somewhere like Getty where they could find their own. This is in no means a finished product or the extent of what I can do with my resources, just an idea. Nothing more.
    Nice job.
    - Runner -

It hurts my eyes!!

Does anyone notice that the text fonts are also hard for people with poor eyesight (like myself) to see the links in the advertised threads on the front page?

The "old" look, had the Topic Started By:, and, Last Reply By:, Total Replies:, The AntiPoint Status Of This Thread Is Currently: In different fonts.

The results to each of these were in a "darker/bolder" font, that I could quickly scan over, and see who posted last and status, etc. I now find myself staring at the entries just to see who is posting and such.

My example below:

This is an example Today at 03:25 AM
    Topic Started By: aeallison | Last Reply By: aeallison
    Thread Is In: Miscellaneous Security Discussions | Total Replies:5
    The AntiPoint Status Of This Thread Is Currently: even
    This was a feature that I liked most about what we had, it is so hard for me to look at now, that it hurts my eyes to read it.

Please put the listings back the way they were JupMan, intmon, LordB, or, whoever does this stuff. You know that if it is not "easy" to glance over the posts, that peeps will lose interest real quick. Like myself, I won't be able to jump into the front page, take a fast scan of whats happening, and jump back out. This will take more of my valuable time, that I can use for other things, to check the board, and get back to work.

If I have to put forth that much effort to volunteer my thoughts, views, opinions and experience, to the AO community, I will not be able to donate as much time to the users who come here looking for help and tutoring.

I am not into inflicting the pain and frustration I will have to endure, just to scan the listings.

nuf sed.....
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

I think the new logo looks cleaner than the old one, although there was a bit of nostalgia attached for those of us who have been here since the site was relaunched by JP with the new forums.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Banned
    Just when you think you've witnessed the pinacle of stupididty. Along comes "the fiend."

Let's all basque in the glory of his wizdom while proving 1st cousins should not procreate.

"i dig my boots into, your spinal remains, in chains. - TheFiend...youll never understand that reason."

Actually Mr."fiend" what I will never understand is where you learned how to punctuate, capitalize, or use an ellipsis. Or even form a coherent sentence for that matter. Kindly go kill yourself.

Love,
    Quad